New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY grain mill in the works...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tservice View Post
I thinking about using aluminum round stock instead of steel. You think it would hold up long term?
No... You might get a handfull of batches out of it. From what I hear, the rollers actually take quite a beating. Stainless rollers will even wear out over time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
greenstar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sweet project thread, guys! Wish I had a mill & lathe at my disposal. I could think of at least a dozen projects I'd like to build.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #33
clintopher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Sweet project thread, guys! Wish I had a mill & lathe at my disposal. I could think of at least a dozen projects I'd like to build.
It does come in handy.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
danb35
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been thinking of doing something like this as well. Just have a lathe, though, no mill, so I might need to get creative with some of the machining. I'll be watching this one.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #35
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What about using round tube instead of solid bar? Something with a little thicker walls though. And does it need to be stainless? Something with a high Rc (or Brinell if you prefer) and if it's over 3" it wouldn't need to be knurled?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #36
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yes, the thick walled pipe like a 3" Sch. 160 would probably work, but it is adding much more work to the build by having to add an axle rod and end caps... all while making sure they are exactly centered. If not centered, you would have to turn the OD of the pipe concentric with the axle and by that point, you might as well be just turning integrated axles into a solid piece of bar.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #37
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 25

So more work than it's worth I guess

Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #38
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Your mill looks great! I too am making a mill, using 1/2" shafts, end caps, 1.6" steel conduit for the rollers. Also using ball bearings all the way around. 1.375 OD... For the gap adjustment I have slots milled for the whole bearing to slide, and threaded rods with set screws for adjustment. My problem is I have the easy bake oven of lathes so I could only turn 4" rollers on the shaft.

On Deck Westy 12 (19X), Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #39
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster
What about using round tube instead of solid bar? Something with a little thicker walls though. And does it need to be stainless? Something with a high Rc (or Brinell if you prefer) and if it's over 3" it wouldn't need to be knurled?
I've also heard that larger rollers didn't need to be knurled but I just found some livestock feed mills with 11" diameter rollers that they can re-knurl 5 times for wear. They are roller mills just like we use for brewing just a lot bigger. Are they knurled to increase feed rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
Yes, the thick walled pipe like a 3" Sch. 160 would probably work, but it is adding much more work to the build by having to add an axle rod and end caps... all while making sure they are exactly centered. If not centered, you would have to turn the OD of the pipe concentric with the axle and by that point, you might as well be just turning integrated axles into a solid piece of bar.
I would guess that pipe is far from perfect and would have to be turned true even if you found and installed the axle on the exact (average) centerline.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #40
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 147

The pipe does have to be turned true after its mounted to the shaft, but not that time consuming

On Deck Westy 12 (19X), Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Quick Reply