Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Filtration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
mattkays
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DIY Filtration

I am fermenting my first lager, and I want to it to be as clear as possible. I have been considering methods of filtration. I do not normally and don't plan to continue filtering my beers-this is a special project I am undertaking with a friend of peculiar tastes in mind-so I don't want to invest any money. So my question is this: What affect if any would be had by racking from the primary, through a Brita pitcher? Obviously it would be time consuming, but it's a one-time deal. Or, how about pumping through a backpacking water-purifier (e.g. katadyn hiker pro--filters to .3 microns which is probably too much, I would think). I appreciate any advice.

Keg: Mt. Redoubt Black Rye IPA
Primary 1: American Premium Lager
Primary 2: Barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The carbon in a brita will take out the flavor and not much else. I don't believe it has any sediment filtration in it.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'll be even more blunt about it. Horrible idea. There's the carbon thing mentioned already but also the fact that you'll likely oxidize the beer in the process. Leave the beer lagering for 1 month at 35F and it will be crystal clear. If you're bottling, you'll still have that layer of sediment in every bottle and the only thing to fix that is to keg the beer and pressure fill the bottles.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Absolutely a bad idea to use an activated carbon filter for beer. Proper lagering will normally produce a brilliantly clear beer. I would suggest a minimum lagering period of six or sever weeks if you have the capability. I have a plate filter I use occasionally when trying to meet a deadline. I recommend filtering only when there is no other option.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

You would be better off running the beer through a coffee filter, but even then, it would be painfully slow, and your would probably oxidize the crap out of the beer.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, this is going to take a little digging, and a day or two.
I have a filter system that uses a Whole House filter ( waterpik) and some 1micron paper filters. These are use once, toss, at around $3-5. I have the source, but at home.

I had a Mild that I forgot to put Whirfloc in, and it was for a party soon. I kegged it after cold crashing in the carboy, and it was still cloudy. So I built this thing, and ran it from one keg to another.

Results were pretty good. No loss in flavor.

EDIT: Crystal Clear Supply has the filters at $6.99

Home Depot, Lowes, etc will have the Filter unit. You'll need some adapters to go from 3/4 down to a 3/8 hose barb.

I am enjoying some of this beer right now. It is perfectly clear, and quite tasty

Last edited by LooyvilleLarry; 04-30-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Quick Reply