Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Filter with videos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
MrZ2U
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default DIY Filter with videos

There are a few threads like this floating around but I took some video of my filter in use to visually address some of the concerns folks have about using these.

The concerns I hear most often are sanitization, oxidation and waste. Hopefully these videos will aleve those concerns on all those fronts. This is just how I do it and by no means do I imply it’s the best way. This is just how I do it!

First, how I sanitize and purge ambient air with Co2.

Now lets filter some beer…

…and we finish up and show you how little beer we “waste” Sorry for the out of frame...I am director, photographer and star of this film

Now go order up your gear and if any of you are local to the Austin area hit me up and we can split shipping…I need to order some filter elements

"Nobody knows everything. Nobody even knows everything about any one thing. And most of us don't know much." P. J. O'Orourke

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
5oclocksomewhere
Recipes 

Could you show a before and after in a clear pint glass?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
MrZ2U
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is a 30 micron filter so its just to pull out any trub and the bulky yeast. I am out of the 1 micron filters so I cannot show the good scrubbing it does. I will try to remember to do that next time.

"Nobody knows everything. Nobody even knows everything about any one thing. And most of us don't know much." P. J. O'Orourke

Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

what's your process for cleaning out the filter and prepping for the next filtering session?

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
MrZ2U
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just take it apart and flush with water...pretty simple really. That filter I just used I will back flush and rinse till it does not smell of beer. I use it about 3 to 5 times. The 1 and 5 micron ones I just toss.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
thepirho
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

What psi do you use per micron of filter, We tried a 5 micron and it clogger pretty fast.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
MrZ2U
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really dont pay attention to pressure per say. I transfer between 15 and 20 PSI. I should point out that I primary, then secondary, then filter to serving. There is not a ton of crud to filter. Worst is on those occasions where I dry hop in secondary but even then I dont recall any issues with clogs.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Espi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

good deal, thanks for posting.

When in darkness... when in doubt... run in circles... scream and shout!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Tell us about the filter. Is it a converted H20 filter or is it one that was "made" to filter beer. Where did you get it, what kind of connections etc. Thanks for the Video and sharing.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
MrZ2U
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its just a plain old water filter housing. Got the idea from another thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...-cheap-261897/ . Lots of sources via ebay and the like....that other thread has a good one or two. Watch out for the port size...you don’t want 3/4 in cause you will have to get step down fittings to get to a small enough barbed fitting. 1/4 is ideal. From there I just put two 90deg barbed fittings and the lines to the ball locks.

Shipping can be a bit much on these and a bulk of elements. Go in with a friend or to and take advantage of the quantity breaks and shipping split! Home Depot/Lowes and/or your local brew shop for all the other fittings easy!

Quick Reply