New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Ferm Chamber vs Temp Control Fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
json2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default DIY Ferm Chamber vs Temp Control Fridge

Hey guys, well summer is already starting to get rolling here and I don't want to stop brewing just because I don't want to pay to air condition my entire house at fermentation temps.

I have a side by side freezer/fridge in my garage that has overflow from the main fridge, but I can easily clear it out for fermenting over the summer. Can I just plug that fridge into this temp controller and slip the probe into the door? I guess this could open up lagering to me as well?

My question: Will this hurt my fridge compressor in the long run switching it on and off externally like this? IE. Will I have any trouble plugging it back into the wall during the winter months to be a regular cold storage fridge? If so I might be looking to build a simple, cheap fermentation chamber.

Thanks a lot guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It shouldn't hurt it if you don't try to maintain wildly constant air temps in the fridge. A deadband of a couple of degrees should cycle your fridge pretty infrequently.

edit to add: Why bother unplugging it in the winter? Just set the controller back to fridge temps.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
json2001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMW View Post
It shouldn't hurt it if you don't try to maintain wildly constant air temps in the fridge. A deadband of a couple of degrees should cycle your fridge pretty infrequently.
Thanks, yeah it says it drops it 4 degrees when it hits the target temp then shuts off. So its not spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMW View Post
edit to add: Why bother unplugging it in the winter? Just set the controller back to fridge temps.
Well that's a great point Thanks a lot!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Glad I could help

Old 11-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

For some of us... finding a way to keep the fermenter warm in the winter is an issue. Even bringing it up to lagering temperature can be a challenge. I brew in my barn.

Quick Reply