Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Dip Tube
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #31
403Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 99
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

So basically no avoiding this unless you have some kind of plastic or ceramic...brass won't solve the problem?

__________________
403Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #32
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montrose, MN
Posts: 1,053
Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthcruiser View Post
With dissimilar metals and moisture,you'll always have corrosion, just some quicker and more aggressive than others.

This is true to an extent. However this generally won't happen unless you keep liquid in your equipment for long periods of time. Especially with Copper up against Stainless steel.

Here is a chart to help. http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

For normal conditions, you want to keep the anodic index value less than .25V difference between the two metals in contact. Copper is .35V and Stainless(304 SS) is .50V (18% chromium-thus 18/8 SS). You still would need a conductive path(Water/Wort) to move ions from one metal to the other.
__________________
MachineShopBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #33
403Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 99
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

So an easy solution is just unscrew the dip tube post boil until you're ready to go again

__________________
403Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #34
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Puddlethumper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Joaquin Valley, California
Posts: 1,595
Liked 221 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
This is true to an extent. However this generally won't happen unless you keep liquid in your equipment for long periods of time. Especially with Copper up against Stainless steel.
The key for us, if I understand this right, is the length of exposure. Short-term exposures (such as a 1 hour boil or 1.25 hr. mash) reduces the rate of corrosion.

And the next question is, so it corrodes a little. What harm is there in it? Does this minimal corrosion release anything harmful? If it does, is it at a level that we need to be concerned about it?

Doesn't a lot of this concern originate from a time when roofers used to stuff a bunch of galvanized nails in their mouths and did it day in and day out? The proportion of exposure is, IMO, significantly different.
__________________

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Puddlethumper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montrose, MN
Posts: 1,053
Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
The key for us, if I understand this right, is the length of exposure. Short-term exposures (such as a 1 hour boil or 1.25 hr. mash) reduces the rate of corrosion.

And the next question is, so it corrodes a little. What harm is there in it? Does this minimal corrosion release anything harmful? If it does, is it at a level that we need to be concerned about it?

Doesn't a lot of this concern originate from a time when roofers used to stuff a bunch of galvanized nails in their mouths and did it day in and day out? The proportion of exposure is, IMO, significantly different.

I wouldn't worry even long term exposure with copper against stainless. The two metals are so close on the galvanic scale that you won't see any corrosion unless in a very tough environment.

It helps to also hit your stainless and copper with a strong mixture of star san and let it air dry. This will re passivate the metals creating a passive oxide layer to protect them.
__________________
MachineShopBrewing is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #36
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Puddlethumper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Joaquin Valley, California
Posts: 1,595
Liked 221 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
I wouldn't worry even long term exposure with copper against stainless. The two metals are so close on the galvanic scale that you won't see any corrosion unless in a very tough environment.

It helps to also hit your stainless and copper with a strong mixture of star san and let it air dry. This will re passivate the metals creating a passive oxide layer to protect them.
Super! I'd heard of passivating stainless but had no idea a simple StarSan bath would do it. Thanks!

So what about brass and stainless? Any issues there? Same solution?
__________________

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Puddlethumper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #37
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montrose, MN
Posts: 1,053
Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

I wouldn't worry about brass and stainless either.

__________________
MachineShopBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
in through the out tube... nolabrew85 General Beer Discussion 3 06-23-2013 01:11 PM
Blow off tube..or blow off tube then airlock. BeerEngineer11 Fermentation & Yeast 10 06-06-2012 04:27 AM
false bottom, dip tube, bazooka tube chezhed General Techniques 5 12-06-2011 08:15 PM
Kettle Tube/False bottom; vinyl tube with holes? Tall_Yotie Equipment/Sanitation 10 09-24-2011 02:46 PM
SS braid, copper tube, bazooka tube??? Joetuo Equipment/Sanitation 12 10-26-2007 01:58 AM