I couple years ago I received a capcatcher as a gift that magnetizes to my fridge. I Love it so much I wanted my brothers and brother-in-laws to all have one. I didn't want to buy one, because it says something positive when it is DIY.
I started with a red oak board (my brother gave to me from scrap pile at his work) and ripped it down and cut them into sections. 3 and 1/4 wide and 9 and 3/4 inch tall. I nipped off all corners, and used a borrowed router to give it a nice edge. I sanded them until smooth.
My wife penciled their names in calligraphy, and I used a wood burner ($9 from walmart) to burn their names in. The next step was to apply a clear coat. I used Sikkens Cetol Window clear coat (satin finish). I brushed first coat then sanded, used an old shirt to wipe on second coat then sanded, and last wiped on final coat.
I ordered 1/4 inch thick magnet sheets from Magnetking.com (expensive shipping) and cut and glued magnets on the back. I then attached openers (from midwest supplies) on the board.
My wife ordered a vinyl clear sheets from somewhere online and I cut to size for the pocket. I finally used nickel finish furniature nails to attach vinyl (big headache). Four on the front and one on the bottom.
All in all I am proud of these things and found some enjoyment on going through the steps. I searched for plans online for capcatchers and found nothing, so I thought I should make a nice post for everyone. Kind of lengthy post but It was hard to break it down.