Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Carboy/Keg Cleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
divi2323
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

The gallons per hour doesnt come into play. I made my own and I'd be shocked if you can get 1300 gallons through a half inch pipe. Remember that you're drilling holes in the pipe to restrict and generate pressure. A few gallons per minute is all you need to be effective.

If you're building one of these to scrub grime off of your carboys, you'll be a little disappointed. They are great for sterilizing equipment but you'll never be able to scrub grime off without a little elbow grease.

They are nice because you can flip it on and let it run while doing other things.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323 View Post
If you're building one of these to scrub grime off of your carboys, you'll be a little disappointed. They are great for sterilizing equipment but you'll never be able to scrub grime off without a little elbow grease.

They are nice because you can flip it on and let it run while doing other things.
False, Im going to have to disagree, as the original poster and using this every week when I brew or when empty a keg I have no problem using this instead of a carboy brush to clean my carboys. Fill it up with some water and oxyclean and let it run for 10-30 min depending on level of soil and it has never not come clean.

Now if you have months of grime dried on it might need a soak for a while first, but it is plenty powerful to clean
Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #23
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering

False, Im going to have to disagree, as the original poster and using this every week when I brew or when empty a keg I have no problem using this instead of a carboy brush to clean my carboys. Fill it up with some water and oxyclean and let it run for 10-30 min depending on level of soil and it has never not come clean.

Now if you have months of grime dried on it might need a soak for a while first, but it is plenty powerful to clean
I'll revise my statement.... Caked on grime from letting a carboy sit will have trouble coming off. A freshly emptied and rinsed carboy is fine even with a bunch of gunk chunks will rinse out fine.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

bringing the thread back for a question.

i made a similar design and love it. I was thinking of making a separate "wand" with 1/4" pipe to clean bottles, both wine and beer. This would be screwed onto the pump threads with the necessary adapter.

what do you think? will the skinny pipe hold the pressure?

Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The skinny pipe wont have a problem holding the pressure, as the amount of pressure it feels is relatively low. However, whatever attachement you are using to start and stop the flow on the end of wand and how you attached it does matter.

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #26
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well the attachment will be just like the keg cleaner piece, but smaller bottles. only difference will be the size and the fact that I have keg posts on the side of my keg attachment.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
Wesjmc
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm thinking about getting that same pump for this use as well as to feed ice water through my IC chiller. Is the flow of the pump adjustable? I have the hose clamps pretty tight on my chiller, but with enough pressure it has leaked into my wort before.

Great thread. Thanks for all the info!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesjmc View Post
I'm thinking about getting that same pump for this use as well as to feed ice water through my IC chiller. Is the flow of the pump adjustable? I have the hose clamps pretty tight on my chiller, but with enough pressure it has leaked into my wort before.

Great thread. Thanks for all the info!
Just put a valve in line to control flow if you think there may be an issue. I use my cleaner to run PBW through my CFC and it's not an issue, i have a valve in line to restrict flow but I found it wasn't required.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

my $.02

I also made a simple bottle wand for doing wine and beer bottles. 1/2" CPVC for the pipe and a 1" to 1/2" reducer that's threaded, also CPVC. 2 parts and it screws right onto the sump pumps port (double check your model's size, may be 3/4").

Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
rshortt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just build one of these and have some thoughts and a question. I'm going to put a quick disconnect of some sort near the top of the vertical pipe so I can swap out attachments like a spray ball (diy), bottle cleaner, and ball lock post for cleaning my beer lines.

Also, do you guys pump star san with this? I did and it foamed up so much it made it hard to pump.

Dartmouth Pilsner

Quick Reply