Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Beer Line Cleaner

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #81
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,504
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscience View Post
To take up the extra space and make the poppet seat, I used a stainless washer inside the post.
so this is a problem everyone has had? I couldn't find an o-ring so I guess I will try the washer
__________________
chemman14 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #82
geniz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 413
Liked 40 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I did not have a problem with the poppet seating. I don't know if people are using different types of posts, but I didn't have a problem. However it seems easily remedied.

__________________
BOHA Brewing Consortium

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle
geniz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #83
Jorgen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Posts: 7
Default

I had no problem with the poppet either. I did get a Firestone post instead of Cornilius as it has a shorter threaded area. Maybe that is the way to avoid this possible problem.

__________________
Jorgen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #84
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
h22lude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: lincoln, ri
Posts: 1,612
Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/Indices/20-Build%20It%20Yourself/374-build-a-hose-cleaner-projects

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/117-Departments/569-draftline-cleaner-projects
__________________
Primary: Nothing

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit
h22lude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #85
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 614
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I had no problem with the poppet either. I did get a Firestone post instead of Cornilius as it has a shorter threaded area. Maybe that is the way to avoid this possible problem.
The Firestone has the proper threads to work with the adapter while the Cornilius doesn't (fine vs course). The issue I was having was that the the flare fitting was bottoming out inside the post and not going in far enough for the poppet to seat on it. A single washer fixed this. I think the issue with leaking or not has more to do with the fittings we choose and not the post it self.

OR, if the poppet feet are splayed inside the post a washer may not be required. (you know how when you pull off a post you sometimes have to really push to get the poppet out?) If this is the case, I'd be concerned that it may get dislodged on down the road and leak later.

OR, it could be the style of poppet too. I'm no poppet expert but I've seen some longer ones out there.
__________________

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Bigscience is offline
barrooze Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #86
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,504
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscience View Post
The Firestone has the proper threads to work with the adapter while the Cornilius doesn't (fine vs course). The issue I was having was that the the flare fitting was bottoming out inside the post and not going in far enough for the poppet to seat on it. A single washer fixed this. I think the issue with leaking or not has more to do with the fittings we choose and not the post it self.

OR, if the poppet feet are splayed inside the post a washer may not be required. (you know how when you pull off a post you sometimes have to really push to get the poppet out?) If this is the case, I'd be concerned that it may get dislodged on down the road and leak later.

OR, it could be the style of poppet too. I'm no poppet expert but I've seen some longer ones out there.
hmm, what size washer did you use?
__________________
chemman14 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #87
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,504
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

went to home depot and got some 5/16 neoprene washers and I am good to go!
there is a small leak where the sprayer connects to the adapter but it isnt a big issue

__________________
chemman14 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #88
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 614
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Not sure of the exact size off the top if my head but it fit inside the post up where the poppet goes. The flare fitting pushes up against it. I think that because the flare tip is sort of cone shaped, the poppet may fit around it. The washer gives it something flat to sit on. Take a post to the hardware store and just try little ones until one fits. I got a SS one for a few cents.

__________________

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Bigscience is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #89
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,504
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscience View Post
Not sure of the exact size off the top if my head but it fit inside the post up where the poppet goes. The flare fitting pushes up against it. I think that because the flare tip is sort of cone shaped, the poppet may fit around it. The washer gives it something flat to sit on. Take a post to the hardware store and just try little ones until one fits. I got a SS one for a few cents.
Yeah thats what I ended up doing. Dont know why I didnt just do that the first time around... oh well it works now!!! time to clean my 3 picnic tap lines for the first time (its only been about 2 months for one of the lines)
__________________
chemman14 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #90
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 614
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Here is some great info about keg posts and thread sizes and other kegging parts (can somebody import it here into a Wiki/sticky?):

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

You can see that there are 2 types of Firestone posts, one is longer that the other. There are also different poppet lengths as well. Maybe some people are using the shorter ones or longer poppets and it's working while others are using the others and require the washer. Either way, I'm Oh-fer 2 on the ones I've built with posts from 2 different sources.

__________________

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Bigscience is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beer Line Length for Kegerator shot0rum247 DIY Projects 12 07-07-2014 05:49 PM
hand pump beer line/keg cleaner? nebben DIY Projects 14 12-23-2011 03:32 AM
Beer Line ID noreaster40s DIY Projects 5 02-24-2010 01:15 AM
Quick and Cheap line cleaner Bsquared DIY Projects 23 01-07-2010 02:14 AM
Beer/Gas Line Question BrothersTrout DIY Projects 26 08-02-2008 02:15 AM