Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Automated bottling for under 100$ is it possible ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
BeNNeS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DIY Automated bottling for under 100$ is it possible ?

I just saw a video of a guy who made a Drink maker using a microcontroller and 2 windshield washer pump.

http://www.matthewdavidwilliams.com/2008/10/17/introducing-barduino-the-ruby-powered-bar-monkey/

It made me think about using it at bottling time with beer on one side and the priming sugar on the other. Press the button and your ready to cap. Even a simpler version where you just need one pump so you put you priming sugar in the hole batch as usual...

But im kegging so i prefer individual priming because i never know how much beer is left after filling my keg.

So now for the capping do anyone have an idea about how we could automate that process for cheap... something like a DIY electric capper.

The bill so far

Arduino : 34.99$
Pump: 9.75$ X 2
Electronic part: 20.51$

I was thinking about modifying a benchcapper i already have so there is 25$ left to be on my 100$ target.

Any idea is welcome !
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Interesting idea... Its a good way to bottle and cap a few batches in just a few minutes. But how would you keep the bottles moving?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That was my question as well. How do you keep the bottles moving.

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 01-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

The issue with bottling isn't that the act of filling a bottle is particularly arduous, its that you have to repeat it 48 times. Sure, the microcontrolled setup is pretty slick, but its only doing 2 bottles at a time. The real trick is doing 24 bottles at a time.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Using an unsanitary pump to mix a drink your going to drink right now is ok, I guess. Bottling beer that is going to sit around for awhile is another thing entirely. Swap out your wiper fluid pumps for peristaltic pumps and bam there goes the budget. A lower cost option might be to push the beer with CO2 and use electronic valves.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
The issue with bottling isn't that the act of filling a bottle is particularly arduous, its that you have to repeat it 48 times. Sure, the microcontrolled setup is pretty slick, but its only doing 2 bottles at a time. The real trick is doing 24 bottles at a time.
??? The link the OP posted was using two bottles as a source to mix a cocktail, it wasn't filling the bottles, it was emptying them. A local micro uses a 6 head filler, for a home brew scale filling one bottle at a time is fine, and if it is automated it is even less tedious.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I swear someone came up with an automated bottling station and posted it on here, but it was more than 100 IIRC....if I can think of the key words I'll try to find it. It was a few years back.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Here....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/semi-automatic-bottling-line-141364/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
??? The link the OP posted was using two bottles as a source to mix a cocktail, it wasn't filling the bottles, it was emptying them. A local micro uses a 6 head filler, for a home brew scale filling one bottle at a time is fine, and if it is automated it is even less tedious.
whoops, I guess I didn't look at it too carefully. I get it now....

First, it seems to me that you wouldn't have to/want to bother with the mixing part of of this....why not prime first and just dispensing the primed beer into bottles? I doubt you could accurately and consistenly dispense priming super solution into each bottle.

Second, I think my other point still applies...its not the actual filling part that is the issue with bottling, its that you have to do it over and over.

I think a ghetto way to fill multiple bottles at once would be a much better way to spend $100 than a fancy way to fill one bottle.

Maybe I'm not seeing the genius here, or how this could actually be adapted to bottling home brew.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
But im kegging so i prefer individual priming because i never know how much beer is left after filling my keg.
I never understood this. I always do different size batches and mixes of different bottle sizes, etc. and never have this problem.

It's very simple:

Keg from a container with volume markings on it. When you get done kegging, look at the markings to see how much beer is left in the container, and prime for that volume.

Quick Reply