Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY activated charcoal filter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Whistler94
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
Ever try running beer through that setup? I saw a recipe for making zima and part of me wants to try to make it, but I'd have to filter out all the good stuff.
I wasnt sure what zima even was until i just googled it lol. Sounds interesting...
I think the main problem would be to figure out how much carbon to run it through. Too much, and you would strip it down to weak vodka... lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
Nerdie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

dont use plastic it will leech with high proof alcohol...
I would get this
http://www.brewhaus.com:80/Stainless-Steel-Filter-System-P1144C130.aspx

u can easily fabricate one if u use the internals of a 15.5 keg and a SS funnel... but I think just buying it is better if u have the dough... one pass should be good...

Okay next option... get
http://graykangaroo.com/liquorfilter/index.php
cheaper but I don't think it is going to last as long but free refills i think ...
I think u would have to run it alot more to get the same results.... what do they use? plastic? I would only go SS because I have some commercial 95% i am filtering..

if u are serious use the first option.. a lot of distillers go that route i think (i never distilled or will I but i did filter)....

Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
alan_marks
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Here's a crazy thought, why not use an old aquarium filter as the setup for your filter? It already has the pump, chambers for the charcoal and filter floss, and is safe for living things (obviously or the fish would die). Most of them are made of polycarbonate so you shouldn't have problems with deterioration from running vodka through it.

Just a thought,
Alan

Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
boomernintysix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your looking for pure tasteless ethanol contact a local university, they usually have it by the tank load and sell it in gallon increments. You can get near pure (190 proof) or pure (200 proof) Etoh, dilute it with water to the strength you want. Its usually cheap too, well compared to high grade booze, dosen't taste bad either after you burn your taste buds off (but seriously though drinking pure ethanol is incredibly dangerous).

Just a thought.

*EDIT*
haha sorry alan didn't realize you said "just a thought" too after reading the post it seamed like I was mocking you and I was not

Last edited by boomernintysix; 02-01-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_marks View Post
Here's a crazy thought, why not use an old aquarium filter as the setup for your filter? It already has the pump, chambers for the charcoal and filter floss, and is safe for living things (obviously or the fish would die). Most of them are made of polycarbonate so you shouldn't have problems with deterioration from running vodka through it.

Just a thought,
Alan
Most of the reading I've done on this subject suggests against this practice.

Quick Reply