Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY 5L Mini Keg Carbonator Bung(onator)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
starman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default DIY 5L Mini Keg Carbonator Bung(onator)

This project expands principals of the DIY Carbonator Cap to work as a 5L mini keg bung. Since I usually bottle, this also utilizes a 16g cartridge based Cornelius Keg C02 charger for pressurization.

First off, credit to Richard J. Kinch http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm for the original DIY write up. Thanks Yuri for the link.

Bung Material List: (prices estimated)
5L Mini Keg with gravity spigot and original bung removed. (Not Heinie or Newcastle)
(1) Victor Metal Tubeless Tire Valves ~$5.50 for 2 via Advance Auto Parts
(2) 1" Neoprene washers w/ 3/8" holes ~$0.60 via Ace Hardware
(1) 7/8" Neoprene washer w/3/8" hole ~$0.60 via Ace
(1) 2 1/8" Neoprene washer w/ 3/8" hole ~$2.20 via Ace
(1) 1 1/4" SS washer w/ 7/16" hole
(3) Victor Metal Stem Extensions ~$4.00 for 4 via Advance Auto Parts
1/2" of thin stainless steel wire - free... still keep finding bits of that crap from my batch sparge braid build...
Victor 4 in 1 Valve Stem Tool (Optional)

This is a pretty straight forward build. Disassemble the Tire Valve and discard all the rubber washers. (Note: Unlike Mr. Kinch's system, you can leave the valve installed) Put the (2) 1" washers on the post first, followed by the 7/8" washer. Temporarily screw on one of the stem extensions to make the next couple steps easier. (Without the extension, I dropped the whole thing in the keg, which was a total PITA to get out.) Push the three washers thru the hole in the keg and snug it up. The 7/8" should fit perfectly flush in the hole. Next, I applied a little KY... er keg lube on the top of the keg and then the last large neoprene washer, followed by the large stainless steel washer. Follow it with the Victor supplied ss small washer and nut. Wrench the nut a bit and violla. Mini Keg, meet Bungonator.

Next we have to modify two of the stem extensions in order to make a filling 'chuck' and an air vent for serving. About 1/8" down from the top of the valve, drill a pair of 1/16" holes opposite each other thru the stem wall. Take care not to go the middle. Next depress the plunger and run the stainless wire through across the top to hold the plunger down. Bend the wire around the outside.

Screw one extension in the end a 1/4" ID CO2 supply tube and secure with a clamp. You now have a threaded chuck that allows the keg to seal up when you remove from the system. Use the second modified extension to provide a vent tube when serving from the gravity tap.

Cool, crash carb, enjoy! Refill...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
NickThoR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this was a while ago, sorry for the late post, but did you have any problems with denting from pressure?
Alot of people on this forum seem to be against these mini kegs, but I would love to use this.
Also, once force carbed, could you remove the bung and us an avanti mini pub?
http://www.kegerator.com/mbd5l-avanti-beer-dispenser-kegerator-mini-pub/MBD5L.html

Thanks,

Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

No issues with denting. The biggest issue I ran into was you still need to let the carbonic acid dissipate for the beer to taste best after a force carb.

I'm not sure about the avanti system personally but I know of at least one micro-keezer project where the guy built manifolds and had several 5l kegs on tap.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
frankjones
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I know this is an older thread... hopefully someone can help me, Hey folks. ............Thanks for taking the time out to look at my post, I bought the gear to make a small mini keg carb kit with a bike pump inflator and a few odds and ends. I cant quite figure out how to get it attached to the mini keg.

I used the DIY info from this thread and I have included some pictures of what I have done and I would really like to be able to save the beer in the mini keg- its bells wheat ale. I cobbled it together for now- just to keep the beer air tight. but I don't think its air tight. I squeezed some co2 into it and it squished beer out of the top. I cant figure out how to get the lines attached to the keg itself....

I still have the black rubber gasket that came installed on the keg but the red little center fell into the keg/beer

File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (10.2 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (10.7 KB, 176 views)

Assnine antics by me, my crew and anyone else who cares to participate in my convoluted reality!
http://offgridintown.wordpress.com

Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
frankjones
Recipes 

here is another pic

File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (10.2 KB, 171 views)

Assnine antics by me, my crew and anyone else who cares to participate in my convoluted reality!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
NickThoR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i Believe it should be assembled as it is laid out in the original posters pic-

schrader
1" washer
1" washer
7/8" washer
lube....
and on the outside of the keg-
big neoprene washer
stainless washer
supplied washer and nut from schrader valve

Old 08-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
frankjones
Recipes 

What one is shrader valve. In just not a handy guy.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
NickThoR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this thing,

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/victor-metal-tire-valve-1.25-inch-22-5-04100-8/1910105-P

Its the far left metal valve in the 3rd picture from the OP

you take off the black washer it came with and throw those away. Slide on first three washers ( they will sit on the bottom piece of the tire valve) then fit it in the keg, the put on the other washers, then put the little nut back on and tighten.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:19 AM   #9
frankjones
Recipes 

Bingo... Got it! Thank you! You rock! Thanks for the link up to the part... Drinking bells now.. In your honor!

Quick Reply