Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY 2 stage, single pass beer clarity filter on the cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #61
badhabit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks for the post and the easy to do shopping list, takes all the guess work out of it, again thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #62
ReuFroman
Never enough brew gear money.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radix
I have seen a number of questions about the process of filtering

I uploaded a copy the instructions that come with the Midwest kit here. This kit is a a single pass setup but basically the process is the same.

Another good source of instructions on this type of filtering is here. This is a little more details and basically what I do.

If people would like I can generate my own set of instructions but I think the the above links covers the vast majority of what you need to know
Great links thanks

--------------------
It's ok to stare at my kegs! Just don't touch them!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #63
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Couple questions: Would this still work if the beer was carbonated?

Also, do you just write the beer remaining in the filters off, or do you flip the filters upside down to try and get all of the beer out?

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #64
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjap52
Couple questions: Would this still work if the beer was carbonated?

Also, do you just write the beer remaining in the filters off, or do you flip the filters upside down to try and get all of the beer out?
I've never done it carbonated but if everything is kept under pressure a I can't see it being a problem.

I don't worry about what beer is left in the filters, but if you wanted it all turning the filters over should hurt anything.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #65
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
I've never done it carbonated but if everything is kept under pressure a I can't see it being a problem.

I don't worry about what beer is left in the filters, but if you wanted it all turning the filters over should hurt anything.
There is no problem filtering while under pressure (carbonated). The principle is the same with or without the filters.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #66
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Welp, I went ahead and carbed up a 15 gal batch in a Sanke keg pushed it through these filters into three pin locks. It worked, but it took absolutely forever.

I did it two stage style with a 5 and a 1 nominal micron filter. The foaming was pretty intense. The first filter probably had about an inch of foam and the second probably 6 inches. Then when all was done, I pulled a pint to see most of the carb was gone, so I had to re carb each keg individually.

Unless I did something extremely wrong, and someone can point me to a fix, I'm probably going to just filter prior to carbing now.

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #67
roxbob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just put my setup together along these lines and tried it out for the first time last night, with the results highly disappointing. Once I had everything assembled, I flushed with star san and then CO2, using 5 micron and 1 micron filters. Then I filtered the beer at low pressure, around 3 psi.

I had 2 major problems: I couldn't completely get rid of all the gas in the headspace of the canisters (even using the pressure release buttons), so I saw bubbles running through the lines throughout the filtering.

Worse, the beer looked just the same coming out as it did coming in. No noticeable difference, almost as if it had just gone around the tops and bottoms of the filters, rather then through them. When I disassmebled, the filters had indentations from the flanges at the top and bottom so they were definitely in snug, but I can't think of any other reason that it would have come out that cloudy, unless this batch had some serious chill haze (which I don't believe is the case).

The only things I can think to do are to use some teflon tape in the hose barb connections in case air was getting in there, and filter at a higher pressure. I know the pressure wasn't too low.

Any other ideas? This was very disappointing, after investing in this whole setup.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #68
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbob
Just put my setup together along these lines and tried it out for the first time last night, with the results highly disappointing. Once I had everything assembled, I flushed with star san and then CO2, using 5 micron and 1 micron filters. Then I filtered the beer at low pressure, around 3 psi.

I had 2 major problems: I couldn't completely get rid of all the gas in the headspace of the canisters (even using the pressure release buttons), so I saw bubbles running through the lines throughout the filtering.

Worse, the beer looked just the same coming out as it did coming in. No noticeable difference, almost as if it had just gone around the tops and bottoms of the filters, rather then through them. When I disassmebled, the filters had indentations from the flanges at the top and bottom so they were definitely in snug, but I can't think of any other reason that it would have come out that cloudy, unless this batch had some serious chill haze (which I don't believe is the case).

The only things I can think to do are to use some teflon tape in the hose barb connections in case air was getting in there, and filter at a higher pressure. I know the pressure wasn't too low.

Any other ideas? This was very disappointing, after investing in this whole setup.

Thanks!
Don't worry about the bubbles. As long as you flushed with co2 there's no harm being done to the beer!

Not sure what size filters you used but I couldn't get all the air out of the canisters either but that doesn't matter. As for the beer not being clear, I have no idea, mine came out good.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #69
vinylrooster
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

fantastic thread. Thanks for posting this tutorial. I don't mind the few weeks of cloudyness, but I'm sure the SWMBO will thank you for our crystal clear brew.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 AM   #70
fifthcircle
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Bumping an old thread. Finally building a single stage. I don't usually have chill haze issues...so no need for the super filter I am going to use this for those times when I'm taking a keg somewhere, or entering a competition. The judging public loves pretty beer!

Quick Reply