Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DITCHES (Dual Immersion Thermal Coil Heat Exchange System)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #31
Damonic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

HOLY CRAP! Those diagrams rule...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #32
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
I like it but I don't see a need for the dubble cooling thingy. I think a good plate or CFC whirlpooled back in would do it just fine and less to deal with.
This design seems to have plenty of redundant systems.
2 coils where 1 would be sufficient
4 heat sources where 2 would be sufficient

However why should you settle for sufficient?

Personally I prefer KISS and this does not seem simple to me, however I do believe it would be effective.

Really if you are not going to use the Herms for steps then the coil in the HLT is not necessary and would save you a significant amount of plumbing. Just add some insulation to the MLT and you probably won't have to touch the heat. Also using two heat sources on the HLT seems pretty redundant. A little insulation again will help you keep stable temps without the need for the electric element.
If you do eliminate the coil in the HLT/ice bucket, then you should increase the length of the coil in the boil kettle to allow for quicker cooling.

This is the engineer in me trying to eliminate unnecessary extras. If you want them then go for it.

Still I am definitely drooling.
Craig

Old 12-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #33
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Out of curiosity, why do you have sanitary connections from your kettle that go from clover w/ female NPT-SS elbow w/compression fitting instead of a clover w/ 3/4" barb? Wouldn't adding a threaded compression fitting between the hose and the clover take away from the purpose of the sanitary connection?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #34
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

CB- I have considered removing the HERMS coil from the HLT... but my original intent was to be able to use the system however I see fit. I.e., if I want to use HERMS for step mashing on one beer, RIMS for another (direct heat on my system), Infusion for another, or any combination of systems, this rig should be able to accomplish it. I don't really know if I will end up using all the features, but I will have the option if I wish. I also, think the cooling arrangement will kick some major butt.. especially for getting down to lager temps.

Tommy- Good question! I am not using the clovers for their sanitary properties. I have enough threads spread over my rig that I don't think having one sanitary connection would get me very far The reason I am using those is for cost economy (believe it or not). It is a rather cheap way to form a solid connection. Once the kettles are installed the should be locked in place. My original idea was to use cam-lock fittings, but these are way cheaper and cheaper than any other alternative I could find.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #35
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Few questions for ya!

- Why 3/4" all around instead of 1/2"? Are you worried about clogging?

- Where are you sourcing your stainless tubing to use for your HERMS coil and BK coil?

- Are you seriously going with the stainless head March pumps? While everyone has different tolerences to spending (), I'm trying to decide if the extra cost is worth it to go pretty much all stainless in my setup...

Kal

Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #36
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

1) I am going 3/4 because I am hoping that this extra volume will help prime the pumps marginally better, it provides a larger supply to the pump inlet, and the inlet for the stainless pump heads is 3/4. The price difference is rather marginal if you source the parts right. I already have all my 3/4 compression fittings... if you search Ebay for "swagelok" and have a bit a patience, you can easily get these fittings for way under half price.

2) I found my 50' 1/2" stainless coil on Ebay for $30. They don't come up often, but if you have the patience, they come up sometimes. Otherwise, just get it from a local metal supplier like Metal Xpress, etc.

3) I am going with the stainless pump heads. If I am investing this much to have all the rest stainless, it seems silly to me to use anything non-stainless. Bling bling baby!

The way to do it is to bargain a percentage of your budget with your SWMBO. For example, I get 5% of our spending money for brewing and personal use. Slowly but steadily, this build will happen!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #37
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
1) I am going 3/4 because I am hoping that this extra volume will help prime the pumps marginally better, it provides a larger supply to the pump inlet, and the inlet for the stainless pump heads is 3/4. The price difference is rather marginal if you source the parts right. I already have all my 3/4 compression fittings... if you search Ebay for "swagelok" and have a bit a patience, you can easily get these fittings for way under half price.
Thanks. I've already bought 50' of quality 1/2" silicone hose so I'll stick with 1/2". Didn't realize either that the SS pump head is 3/4" and not 1/2".

Quote:
3) I am going with the stainless pump heads. If I am investing this much to have all the rest stainless, it seems silly to me to use anything non-stainless. Bling bling baby!
Ok. I'll consider it. Not quite at that buying stage yet. (Waiting for my Blichmann pots to arrive first .... )

Quote:
The way to do it is to bargain a percentage of your budget with your SWMBO. For example, I get 5% of our spending money for brewing and personal use. Slowly but steadily, this build will happen!
Makes sense. Luckily I'm not really on a budget. Still, I don't want to spend money needlessly if it can be avoided of course. If I can get away with under $5K for the whole setup I'll be happy. I don't think it'll get that high though.

Kal

Old 12-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #38
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

5 keys is a high budget. The system I have shown here would come in around 4 if you bought everything brand new today. I am waiting on the best deals I can find on everything and plan to do it for significantly less.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #39
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Agreed. It is high. Hell, you can brew great beer for only a few hundred dollars but that's not the point for many of us (yourself included obviously as you already have likely a great setup). I'm an engineer by background and want something that not only looks good but that is easy to use and that I can be proud of. For many of us it's not about saving money obviously either. You can buy a lot of beer for $5K.

Good luck with the build! So far all I have is a grain mill, 50' of silicone hose, and Blichmann pots on order. Lots more to go...

Kal

Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #40
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Nail + Head =

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Agreed. It is high. Hell, you can brew great beer for only a few hundred dollars but that's not the point for many of us (yourself included obviously as you already have likely a great setup). I'm an engineer by background and want something that not only looks good but that is easy to use and that I can be proud of. For many of us it's not about saving money obviously either. You can buy a lot of beer for $5K.

Good luck with the build! So far all I have is a grain mill, 50' of silicone hose, and Blichmann pots on order. Lots more to go...

Kal
I have a fine two tier three keggle system now. This build is so I can be happy about cleaning it and looking at it. Also, I do think I will have better control over my process with the new rig.

Quick Reply