Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Disable Chest Freezer Temp Alarm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
ScottishPete
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Disable Chest Freezer Temp Alarm

I have the Frigidaire 24.9 cu ft chest freezer, model GLFC2528FW ... I have a Ranco temp control attached to it ... this model freezer has a temperature alarm that is triggered when it exceeds a certain temperature ...

The Ranco works by only supplying power to the freezer when the temperature range you set is exceeded ... since this temp range is always above freezing, the alarm is triggered every time the freezer is turned on by the Ranco

I've been unable to find any documentation on how to disable the alarm completely ... anyone know if it's at all doable, either programmatically or by physically removing some component of the freezer?

Alternatively, are there temperature controls that work in ways other than completely killing the power to the unit?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3160 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 2671

Get the service manual here.

The "control board" is mounted just under the handle, looks like 2 screws. The speaker should be fairly recognizable on this board. Remove it.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
TomRep
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are handfy with electronics, there should be a way to turn that temperature warning device into a temperature controller. A trip to Radio Shack and you'd be set.
tom

Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRep View Post
If you are handfy with electronics, there should be a way to turn that temperature warning device into a temperature controller. A trip to Radio Shack and you'd be set.
tom
Now that is an interesting idea. However, sounds like he already has one.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
ScottishPete

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

passedpawn, thanks for the link to the supplementary manual ... hopefully we're looking at the same manual ( the site is session based, and I don't think allows direct linking to the manuals ) ... here's the one I downloaded: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2779944/5995477873.pdf

I took off the handle, but all the "control board" is, is two indicator lights and a button press to kill the alarm when the freezer is on ... I removed it anyway, but the alarm still functions ... the button press was attached to a couple wires that run across to the other side of the freezer where the rest of the compressor type stuff is

Looking through the manual I linked to, I don't see any part item labeled speaker or anything I would associate with a noise maker

Maybe those more familiar with electronic parts will see it right away ...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Now that is an interesting idea. However, sounds like he already has one.
I believe his recommendation is to use the existing circuity and just bypass the temp sensor. That's what I did on my 20 cu ft upright freezer.
  1. Locate the OEM controller wiring (see your manual).
  2. Measure the approximate OEM temp sensor resistance at 100F and -32F.
  3. Splice your controller (Love, Ranco, etc.) inline with the temp sensor such that the OEM controller only sees a very high temp (100F ohms) or a very low temp (-32F ohms).

That effectively kills the alarm and, assuming you have a defrost heater, retains the defrost control loop.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 05-27-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
ScottishPete

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bump for evening / morning crowd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishPete View Post
passedpawn, thanks for the link to the supplementary manual ... hopefully we're looking at the same manual ( the site is session based, and I don't think allows direct linking to the manuals ) ... here's the one I downloaded: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2779944/5995477873.pdf

I took off the handle, but all the "control board" is, is two indicator lights and a button press to kill the alarm when the freezer is on ... I removed it anyway, but the alarm still functions ... the button press was attached to a couple wires that run across to the other side of the freezer where the rest of the compressor type stuff is

Looking through the manual I linked to, I don't see any part item labeled speaker or anything I would associate with a noise maker

Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishPete View Post

I am so sorry. I was absolutely sure that is where the buzzer would be. Yes , that's the board I was assuming had the buzzer on it, and that is the manual I looked at.

Can't you just use your ears to find the buzzer?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
ScottishPete

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea, no worries ... I'll pull apart the access panel next and take a look around

Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
ScottishPete

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dove into the belly of the beast today and I'm even more confused ... I really couldn't nail down where the sound was coming from ... I almost think it was coming from inside the freezer cavity, and not from within the access panel ... doesn't seem right tho

Here's two pictures ... I think the speaker *has* to be in the 2nd picture, but it really just didn't sound like it ... do any of those components look like a speaker?

Quick Reply