Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Direct Fire MLT Insulation Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #121
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It's a little expensive, but if you have any friends in construction there is usually left over or cut offs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #122
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Hence the $5 sheet from Mcmaster.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:38 AM   #123
matiasek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If it were similarly priced I would have been interested (should I ever need to rebuild this) but I think that it really bends just fine on its own. Most of us are using Bobby's spec with the silicone chalk on the top, so it is not very removable. So long as you put it on only once it is not going to be damaged. Depending on the guage of aluminum it would be nice to have prebent aluminum, now that would have made the project a little easier, though it was not that hard really.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #124
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used flashing for mine. I bought a 10' section, then folded it in half so it was doubled up. That gave a nice edge for teh top section that overlapped. I then cut a couple of small pieces of aluminum to put behind the flashing where the nuts are so that the bolts wouldnt pull through the flashing. Here is a crappy cell phone pic I took when I did it:

Old 10-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #125
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Anyone know if 24 gauge stainless steel would be appropriate for this? It's about half as thick as the stuff Bobby_M used (which he estimated to be 16 gauge). In one of these posts he suggested to use something half the size of his so that shaping it would be more reasonable. Paraphrasing here.

I just want to make sure it isn't gonna melt or something...might sound dumb but I don't know much about working with metal.

My concern stems from my recent attempt to make a heat shield for my burner using aluminum flashing from Home Depot. Basically, within about a minute of testing out my new heat shield, it literally caught fire and burned to nothing. I ended up going to a local metal shop and getting a small square of 16 gauge steel, which has worked great.

Anyway, please let me know...or if a cheaper material or gauge would be just as good. Lowering costs is always preferable!

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #126
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I typically have a hard time visualizing sheet in terms of gauge so I got myself a sample pack. 24 gauge is .024" and from the 4" square piece I have seems like it would be pretty hard to bend into a 18" diameter tube. I also have a .018 which is 26 gauge and I THINK I could get the bent around a corny keg. I'd venture that even 28 gauge would still be sturdy enough but it's pretty hard to find. The 16 gauge aluminum I used was pretty hard to bend and aluminum is much more soft than stainless.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #127
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I typically have a hard time visualizing sheet in terms of gauge so I got myself a sample pack. 24 gauge is .024" and from the 4" square piece I have seems like it would be pretty hard to bend into a 18" diameter tube. I also have a .018 which is 26 gauge and I THINK I could get the bent around a corny keg. I'd venture that even 28 gauge would still be sturdy enough but it's pretty hard to find. The 16 gauge aluminum I used was pretty hard to bend and aluminum is much more soft than stainless.
Thanks for the info. Turns out aluminum is 1/3 the price of the stainless that I was looking at. That might be obvious to some, but I really had no idea. So anyway, I think I'll try that out. It's in the neighborhood of 10 bucks for an appropriately sized piece of Aluminum 3003-H14 on www.metalbytheinch.com.

I chose that site because it was mentioned by someone in an earlier post but if anyone knows of a better resource, then by all means, please share. The smallest gauge they have for aluminum is 22, which is 0.025" according to the chart they have...about half the size of 16 gauge (again, according to the chart on their site).

Bobby_M: is your sample pack aluminum or stainless steel? You said that 0.024 seems like it would be hard to bend; just trying to determine if you're referring to SS or aluminum. The aluminum I'm looking at is 0.025" (22 gauge), but I'll keep looking if that's gonna be too thick to reasonably work with. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #128
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Oh, my sample pack is stainless 304.

22gauge aluminum should be just fine. Thin enough to bend, thicker than aluminum roof flashing. I think a 18" x 56" piece would be good. You want it to overlap a bit on the seam and not be butt-jointed.

Not exactly cheap, but man I'd be tempted to go with the aluminum tread plate. How badass would that look?

New Stuff?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #129
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Oh, my sample pack is stainless 304.

22gauge aluminum should be just fine. Thin enough to bend, thicker than aluminum roof flashing. I think a 18" x 56" piece would be good. You want it to overlap a bit on the seam and not be butt-jointed.
Thanks again for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Not exactly cheap, but man I'd be tempted to go with the aluminum tread plate. How badass would that look?
Ha...I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered this as well. Still haven't completely ruled it out!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #130
HenryVance3
Recipes 

Do you guys know if anyone has attempted the Nuclear project of welding an air tight outer shell and creating a vacuum type insulation? I am felling inspired by my Thermos

"Are you going to be working on your brew stuff? Yes honey I am going to be working on my brew stuff."

Quick Reply