Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Direct Fire MLT Insulation Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #111
matiasek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think the key is to get the aluminum "pre-bent" as best you can. Every time you bend the insulation around the kettle it breaks down a little, and this will be more so without the adhesive. I kept having to enlarge one of them to get it to fit. So I would pre-bend the aluminum around the keg with the straps as bobby showed in his pics, but first without the insulation. This should make it easier to be gentle when you do the final assembly with the insulation in place. I had a bunch of trouble getting my holes drilled in the right place for all three of my mash tun ports. There is probably a more elegant way to measure, rather than just holding the aluminum sheet up against the ports and trying to make markings... perhaps drill one hole and then measure with a string to the second hole so that you get a good measure of circumference. The problem is that the spacing of the holes will vary depending on how far you are from the keg surface. The good thing is that it does not need to be perfect, and making the holes a little bigger than they need to be will not hurt your efficiency. Best of luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #112
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I just insulated mine with this stuff http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/qu..._wrap.htm?d=26 I work at this place, so I figured I'd bring some home and give it a shot. Hit me up if you have questions, I'd be happy to help.

I've only used it for one batch and so far the only complaint that I have is that it's easy to puncture the foil facing. I double-wrapped mine and used standard foil-tape to encapsulate all of the cotton fibers. An aluminum wrap/casing would be SWEET. I wonder if I can have a buddy fab one up for me...

Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #113
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah I expect drilling the 3 holes to be lots of fun too. I imagine you have to do this based on the diameter with the insulation on since it should be wider than without it.

Good advice on pre-bending the aluminum as best as I can before the insulation.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #114
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

How much time and money did all this take?
Did you do all this just to save money on gas?
Now that it has no handles, is it not a PITA to move?

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #115
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm planning on doing this, but with aluminum flashing instead. All the holes are already drilled on my MLT.

Does anyone have any tips for drilling the holes through the aluminum and insulation? Since I'm using flashing I imagine I might be able to poke something through it from the inside of the keg to at least leave a mark I can see from the outside surface.. Bobby, what did you do for this? I couldn't find anything you said about it specifically

Old 10-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #116
matiasek
Recipes 

I used my biggest drill bit to cut through the aluminum, then used a grinding attachment on my drill to grind it our to the appropriate size. This was much cheaper than buying a larger drill bit.

The handles are not covered on my version of this, I only ran the insulation and aluminum to just beneath the handles.

Lastly, at least for me, this was not designed to save gas necessarily but rather to get the mash tun to hold its heat better so that mashing requires less fuss... meaning I have to add heat less frequently making mashing the mash process simpilier. I still need to heat it, but usually only 1 time in the summer, and 2 times in the winter.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #117
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
How much time and money did all this take?
Did you do all this just to save money on gas?
Now that it has no handles, is it not a PITA to move?
I don't move my vessels as I clean in place but in the rare case that I do, I can still grab the rolled edge from inside. This was done to hold mash temp more consistently as I don't constantly fire the burner or run an automated temp maintenance system. This basically turns a direct fire tun into a metal beverage cooler (almost). Money? All the money is in the metal wrap. If you can get a piece for free or scrap prices, it's very cheap. My time is free right? ;-)
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #118
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Mineral wool insulation cones in round pieces. I found 16" round pipe fire retardant insulation. Mineral wool panels won't last long after it's bent.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #119
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You'd be a lot more helpful by posting a link or source for the insulation you found.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #120
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

http://www.amerisafe.net/en/Mineral-...CK-/12681.aspx

Quick Reply