Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Digital A/C for walkin cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Junkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphist View Post
The fan running continuously will help prevent stratification. Without the fan, the bottom will be much cooler than the top.
Yep - every commercial refrigeration unit & walk-in cooler I've worked on runs the evaporator fan(s) continuously.

With reach-in freezers, the fans stop when the door is opened & during defrost when the compressor is off and the evaporator heaters are on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
tom_hampton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just installed a $99 box store mechanical AC unit. I bypassed the onboard thermostat and connected it to an acquarium controller. The controller is set to 13C. My chamber is a dual purpose fermentation room and storage unit (its only 46" square, with 9 ft ceilings).

I like the mechanical unit because there is less electronics to try and disable. I was able to disconnect two spade connectors (that switch the compressor on/off, then hook those to the acquarium controller. Job done.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seems to me that the DIY coolbot idea is a perfect clone, except for the icing condition. This should be able to be avoided if the 'crash' cooling is at a minimal rate. This rate I do not know. If maintaining, say, 42degF, the coils should not ice. If, however, the chamber was set to reach 42degF from, say 66degF, a 'slow enough' crash cooling rate should suffice. Any ideas/experience on what rate will not ice up a standard/cheapo window ac unit?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
Cuzco_Brew
Recipes 

I still haven't got the walk-in sealed up as tight as I want, so I haven't got it running yet. When I do get it turned on, I was going to try and drop the temp by about 4 or 5 degF per day, see how that goes. The temp in my brewery is already below 60F and I only need to get it down to about 40F. Will try it over the weekend when I can keep an eye on it.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
tom_hampton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The issue is that the evaporator coils run about 20 degrees colder than the cold air. So, when the air is 52 you are dangerously close to the coils at 32. More airflow through the evaporator can help. Mine froze up at somewhere below 12C. I found it frozen with temps slowly rizing above 11.7.

I'm thinking about fitting an additional fan on the inlet.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
delt266
Recipes 

have you guys ever thought about just getting a walk in cooler evaporator and condensing unit? I got a matching pair off of ebay for my restaurant walk in cooler for $250 +$125 shipping. Don't see why you guys couldn't do the same, AND then have a super efficient and COLD unit at your house.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Cuzco_Brew
Recipes 

I have priced them here in Peru, and unfortunately I can't get one for anywhere near my price range. The down side of living in South America.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have one side (Condenser) given to me. The other side would cost about $300 but how much to hook it up? We had a cold room where the Window would get down to 65 or so but we wanted to try a lager in our Stout 27 Gallon Conical. the CoolBot was $299 and took about a minute to hook up and works like a charm. It is our plan to create a smaller chamber for Lagers with a small A/C unit and the coolbot. There is a lot of good info at CoolBot's website about how to build cool room.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
delt266
Recipes 

The local refrigeration place has a Brand new evaporator that I was going to buy as a spare for $200. They have it because a contractor ordered the wrong size unit. I'm sure other parts houses in other areas of the country may have similar deals. i have no idea what the install cost is, because i did my own.

Quick Reply