Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Dialing in a love tss2 w/ new freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
MedicMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dialing in a love tss2 w/ new freezer

Good morning brewers:

I'm looking for some help with dialing in my TSS2 with my new fermentation chamber freezer. I had a 17.5 cubic foot freezer that died last week. I was able to maintain temps with ice packs and frozen water bottles until I bought the new one last night. I bought a 7 cu ft Holiday chest freezer from Lowes.

It fits two 6.5 gallon pails or carboys, so it will work for us. I'm having trouble with temperature swings. Going from a 20 year freezer to a brand new one might be part of it. I know the older one was slow to cool off, especially being over twice the size of the current one. Now, it'll cool off and drop right past the lower temp setting and kick the heating circuit on. I have a brewpad under the fermenter and a paint can heater in there as well. That might be a bit overboard for such a small space. I have already adjusted the temps to slow the temp swings but haven't quite figured it out yet. I have a batch of Denny's Wry Smile IPA in there with Wyeast 1450. The yeast works between 60° to 70°. I have the setpoint set at 65°. I went from 2° above and below to 2.5° with now real effect. I would like to eliminate the swings and keep the heaters and freezer from fighting with each other. Thanks.

www.starsbarsbrewing.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply