Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Designing a brew system for Wisconsin Weather

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Designing a brew system for Wisconsin Weather

Hi
It is time to replace my original wooden gravity feed sculpture. I am interested in a single level system using a march pump. I also want to be able to brew on my patio, but also move the system into my garage for winter brewing. The system will be stored in the garage as well.

In addition, I want to move away from propane to natural gas. Further, I will transfer my cooled wort via gravity flow directly to a carboy in my basement.

I seek advice on the process I will be proposing and on the methods to be used. I would think this is a multi month project and I have a lot to learn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer View Post
Hi
It is time to replace my original wooden gravity feed sculpture. I am interested in a single level system using a march pump. I also want to be able to brew on my patio, but also move the system into my garage for winter brewing. The system will be stored in the garage as well.

In addition, I want to move away from propane to natural gas. Further, I will transfer my cooled wort via gravity flow directly to a carboy in my basement.

I seek advice on the process I will be proposing and on the methods to be used. I would think this is a multi month project and I have a lot to learn.
My first question:

My patio is situated right next to the natural gas pipe leading into my house.

How long can a gas line using a quick connect to that gas line be?

To move into the garage for brewing would require up to a 25 foot line. Would that be too long? What do I need to be concerned about as far as safety or efficiency?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

All the same precautions go for NG as they do for LPG. Get a good Carbon Monoxide detector in your garage and open a window. Do you have any isea what type of brewery you wish to build (HERMS, RIMS or DIMS)?

Guy

Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
All the same precautions go for NG as they do for LPG. Get a good Carbon Monoxide detector in your garage and open a window. Do you have any isea what type of brewery you wish to build (HERMS, RIMS or DIMS)?
TY for the response. I do not have the Carbon Monoxide detector but always keep the garage door open. I will add the detector for next winter.

1) Can I have a quick connect natural gas extension hose attached to my homes gas line that is up to 25' long?

2) I am not certain which type of system I will eventually have. Right now I am interested in building a single tier steel frame. I will have two burners immediately and design it for the third as an add on later. (BTW I batch sparge using a Coleman Extreme and like the system.)

As I want to be able to brew both outside as well as in my garage, a wheeled sculpture is important.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Here is a picture of my system, it was just painted so this is a "staged" picture obviously, but you get the idea. It's setup for electric now, previously propane. With it I can batch sparge, fly sparge, use it as a completely gravity fed system to the carboy or two tier using a pump (as shown). The wheels are 10 inch rubber so I can move it in the garage, on the driveway, etc very easily, even while brewing, as it always seems to start raining after the first hop addition.

I can't offer any advice about the natural gas extension, but I would be very leary about having a 25 foot pipe of NG laying on the driveway. I suspect you would be much safer to have a pipe buried and have some sort of outlet at the spots where you intend to brew.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We get the same weather (here in KY) as you do, just a lot less of it

I went all electric and love it. I have some strategically placed 30a plugs and enough cord to brew outside as well.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Here is a video of my last brew session on my electric/insulated rig.

All I need is a single 30A 240VAC outlet and I can power all of my 240VAC and 120VAC equipment. I love the hell outta this thing.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff View Post
Here is a picture of my system, it was just painted so this is a "staged" picture obviously, but you get the idea. It's setup for electric now, previously propane. With it I can batch sparge, fly sparge, use it as a completely gravity fed system to the carboy or two tier using a pump (as shown). The wheels are 10 inch rubber so I can move it in the garage, on the driveway, etc very easily, even while brewing, as it always seems to start raining after the first hop addition.

I can't offer any advice about the natural gas extension, but I would be very leary about having a 25 foot pipe of NG laying on the driveway. I suspect you would be much safer to have a pipe buried and have some sort of outlet at the spots where you intend to brew.
Nice looking system there.

No, I would not have a 25' pipe. Rather, I seek advice about using a 25' flexible pipe with quick disconnects attached to my homes natural gas system.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I stopped at a plumbing store and now believe I can get Natural Gas from my homes setup to my brew station for about $50.00.

My next question.

My neighbor when I asked him if he ever sells steel, (He builds stainless steel tanks. Big ones.), told me he has various types of aluminum stock left over from a job. Some is flat stock and others is angle stock.

I am thinking that as I do not weld, maybe using all aluminum bolted together might be an option. I am asking opinions on this.

Would aluminum be an ok product to build a single tier system? Somebody has posted a sweet looking sculpture made of wood, so, am I that far off base?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Why not? With the money you save over Stainless, have it powder coated to protect the aluminum.

Guy

Quick Reply