Designing all grain brew setup (brewtus-esque) questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsandswine

Reaction score
First of all, hello! I was a lurker and just got around to registering for the forums.

I was hoping to get some guidance/ideas for building a "linear" all grain brew setup, similar to the "brewtus/brutus" setups I have seen. I would like to use 15.5 gal kegs, as I already have 1 in a "keggle" configuration, and one yet to be converted to anything. I am currently brewing with a single kettle that has a max capacity of ~ 6 gallons, so I've been doing 5 gallon batches.

I would like something along the lines of this:

476193229_KEE6t-M.jpg

I'm trying to get a rough gathering of materials and costs. I figure I need 3 kegs (already have 2) a false bottom kit, 2 pumps, a myriad of plumbing and ball valves, and 3 burners - not including the stand. Plus the electronics for the control panel?

I haven't been able to find very specific information on the dimensions or blueprints required to build the stand suitable for three 15.5 gallon kegs, nor the type of burners being used (right now I'm using a generic turkey fryer burner - it does the job for now).

I'm sure a lot of people here have experience with these so I was hoping I could get some input on design specs, approximate costs, and any "pitfalls" to avoid.

Thanks a bunch! :rockin:

The first step in designing a system like this is to set some goals.

How much automation do you want vs. manual regulation?
Do want to clean in place or hose the vessels out on the lawn?
Would you rather turn ball valves to direct flow or use quick disconnects on hoses.
Natural gas, propane or electric?
Do you want to step mash or single infusion only?
Do you want to fly sparge or batch sparge?

3 metal vessels aren't always the best option depending on what your goals are.

BYO sells the issue with Lonnie Mack's Brutus 10

You may also want to look through this thread for inspiration

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/

Great thread, thanks.

As far as my goals...

The first step in designing a system like this is to set some goals.

How much automation do you want vs. manual regulation?
- Ideally, I'd like as much automation as possible (and as I can afford) but I'm sure that all comes at a price
Do want to clean in place or hose the vessels out on the lawn?
- Again, if it's possible to do without price outweighing benefit - I'd prefer to do it in place. The winters here can be pretty cold and hosing stuff down outside isn't an option for at least 3 months out of the year. I use my kitchen sink now, but as my vessels and process grows, that would no longer be an option...so I guess it is a pretty high priority.
Would you rather turn ball valves to direct flow or use quick disconnects on hoses.
- Probably ball valves
Natural gas, propane or electric?
- At this point, probably propane. I am on NG heat here, but I'd have to (pay someone to) run a gas line out to my garage where I plan to keep this thing. However, NG may be cheaper to use as fuel in the long run and it could pay for itself? It's ~$20 to have a gas grill sized tank filled here. I'd welcome any input on that. I still haven't figured out how much propane I'm using per all-grain brew yet.
Do you want to step mash or single infusion only?
- Open to input
Do you want to fly sparge or batch sparge?
- Probably fly sparge, but again - open to input.

fly sparging would require 2 pumps.

cleanup may be easier with quick disconnects if everything is interchangeable

do you have water in your garage?

When it comes down to it, the biggest decision centers around the mashtun design and how you will maintain mash temps. An insulated tun mostly takes care of it without any "system". After that it gets more complex like direct fire RIMS (uses the most energy) and you may scorch if you compact the bed and lose recirculation. Tube RIMS works pretty well and without having to keep a full HLT. HERMS can be done without any electric elements but does use a bit of gas because you have to keep your HLT temp up a few degree above mash temp for the whole mash.

fly sparging would require 2 pumps.

cleanup may be easier with quick disconnects if everything is interchangeable

do you have water in your garage?

Yes, I have water in my garage.

I was planning on using an insulated mash tun...though I'm still researching on what I would use for the insulation. As many setups as I have seen that have insulated mash tuns, I figure people have been able to insulate them well enough to not have to worry about too much temperature bleed off.

The cooler mash tun I'm currently using loses maybe 2*, if not less.

well if you have running hot and cold as well as a drain line you should be alset with the addition of a slopsink if you don't already have one setup.

i've seen ppl use that "astrofoil" bubblewrap with the tin foil on the outside, regular fiberglass batting, an other suitable products. as far as heatlose just do a good job installing it and use enough of the insulation. if you doing a direct fire MLT you may want to think about what your gonna use a bit more in regards to fire hazard.

Back