Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Design Contest:Fermentation chiller/bookcase

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Design Contest:Fermentation chiller/bookcase

Here is the deal: Send me a design based on the specs and rules I have below, and if I pick yours, I'll send you a 6 pack of brew

1) Dimensions are 6'10"high, 5'5" long, close to 20" deep (no more than 24", less is more, its a narrow room.

2)Bottom of the structure is the fermentation chamber/Storage cabinet. Must be able to hold 4 cornies, have 2 individually temp controlled fermentation chambers, and If you can manage a cabinet to hold various other brew supplies, you get extra points.

3)Bookshelf up above: Shelves must be large and sturdy enough to hold large textbooks (at least 13-14" high) I love shelf space, so the more you can give me the better.

4)Anyone can build anything with unlimited funds, so to keep this fair, shoot to keep the bill under or close to $200.

5)Supplies I already have and do not count towards the bill: 2 thermostats, 4 80mm 12V computer fans, 24 and 12 gage wire, and computer power supply (was going to build a chiller kind of like the son of fermentation chiller). I also have access to some OSB, 2x4's, and 2x6's. Most of this is scrap from home sites, so don't count on full pieces. I might also be able to get some r-13 attic batting, but this takes up alot of space, but its also free...

6)Ingenuity and extra features welcome! Think of stuff that would be cool (built in stirplate, desk space, power strip, desk lamp, etc.

7)It has to look nice and pass with SWMBO's seal of approval! Ease of construction is also a plus.

8)pictures are worth a 1000 words, diagrams are very welcome!

9)deadline is 2/29

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Here are pictures of the room I want to put it in:
room1.jpg

room2.jpg
I have my own design that I came up with, but I want to see what interesting things ya'll can come up with

Last edited by Dr_Deathweed; 02-10-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: fixing pics

Old 02-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

try the fermoire!! http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.p...light=fermoire

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

ha ha, yeah, I have seen that one in person, and have stolen some of his ideas, I am mostly wanting to see if anyone can come up with additional original ideas that I couldn't come up with on my own. I have seen some really creative stuff that y'all have come up with and know you can do it!

Just imagine it this way: you have ~$200, the dimensions and needs that I posted above, what and how would YOU build it? If not that, what interesting things would you add to meet YOUR needs?

I thought this would be a fun way to either get some creative ideas to add to my design, or get an awesome design from someone else that just blows mine out of the water Besides, send me something cool, I might send you a six pack

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
jas0420
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok, I'll go first... Although I really like Erik's suggesion of building a Fermoire for some reason...........

This is a pretty crude drawing, and I didn't finish wrapping the base in the pretty oak color so that you can peek inside. I was thinking just cabinet doors to cover up the chamber, kinda like I did on mine.

First though, this is a pretty tall order man! I think with two cornies front-to-back in each of the two chambers, this would barrrrely come out under 24" if you stack up the insulation like I did on mine and accounted for some trim and cabinet doors. I've had pretty good results with the 2.25" foam, and would probably try and sway you into that rather than the foil backed stuff you mentioned. Just depends on whether you can get it into the budget or not. It's pretty expensive, but you're not doing too huge of a box. You'll need to come up with something for a base within the chamber if you do the foil. A full corny will crush the foil stuff if my distant memories of it are accurate. It's pretty delicate.

Anyway, this was kind a first pass at what I had in my head. I left a small area at the end that should be about 24" wide. Not huge, but you can get a chair under it. I left it this way b/c air is cheaper than wood. Having to allow for the corny height, it made the desk surface come out to about 34 inches. A little tall for a desk... I guess you could cut the surface into two sections and drop the desk portion down a little and anchor it to the side of the fermentation chamber.... It'd make the "desk" part feel pretty small though I think... roughly 24x24.

As for the fermentation chambers... Pretty tight in there! I've had really good luck with using frozen 2-liter bottles in mine, so that's the size I made this ice chamber. As for cooling, ducting takes up space and is why I wound up water-cooling mine. I think though that if you make the chamber next to the ice the one where you do cooler fermentations you can pull off air from it to chill your right-most one. I don't know how much would want to "leak" into the right chamber when your fans were off and it didn't really need to be cooled further. It might make that right chamber a little harder to control.

The shelves, I just kinda slapped together here. Would make them detachable so that you can have a better shot at getting this around the corners it needs to go around.

Sure you're never going to want to throw a carboy in there?

Something else I considered before I let my Fermoire design get out of control was going narrow and vertical kinda like the wardrobe below. That wouldn't help you with the shelving, but you could build some off the side of it and a little shallower. You wouldn't gobble up quite as much floor space this way, but you'd lose your nice 24x24 desk. <grin>

Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
jas0420

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, I started liking the vertical idea a little better and threw a quick visualization of it together. Again, it'd (of course) have some doors on the front to hide the ugly foam. You could either just do this cabinet and buy some seperate shelving, or go ahead and make it one unit. Going this way would let you have two ice chambers, so you could truly get two temps that weren't dependent on one another. If you left off the shelves, it's pretty small too. Looks like the footprint is about 24x27.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 AM   #7
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

hum, vertical might be an option... hadn't thought that way... Thats why I love this forum!
Quick disclaimer, I wasn't planning on cooling the cornies, just storing them out of sight, but if I could temp control them in the space I have, Ill go for it!

When I get a few more ideas from people I will post the plans I have been drawing up to maybe get a few more peoples creative juices flowing.

Oh jas0420, I couldn't see most of the pictures you posted, not sure if its my computer of your links.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #8
jas0420

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm. Sometimes pbase does that to me.... Here are some direct links to click if they don't show up.

http://www.pbase.com/jas0420/image/92850654
http://www.pbase.com/jas0420/image/92850640

http://www.pbase.com/jas0420/image/92853827
http://www.pbase.com/jas0420/image/92853828
http://www.pbase.com/jas0420/image/92853829

Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #9
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

wow, I like those! Ok, I see what you mean about throwing carboys in there, my plan was to have fermentation chamber for 2 carboys and storage for 4 cornies. Sorry for the confusion! The vertical looks great, the more I look at it the more and more I like the idea. It might give more room for shelves as well...

Oh, what program did you use to draw that up? It might be easier than just taking pictures of my rough sketches when I decide to post my original plan...

Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 AM   #10
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

haha, ok, now the photos are popping up in the thread thanks for the links though!

Quick Reply