Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Deep Six Brewing System - v2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 AM   #41
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy View Post
Good fix.

When Are you getting beer out of the thing?
Hell or Highwater - next weekend. It will in no way be "done" by then, but it'll brew...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #42
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

OK, here is what I've been patiently waiting for several weeks for... the first real statistics from my system. This is what has been missing in the fine tuning. For this run I had a mash differential of .25 degrees and a HEX differential of 5 degrees. I "doughed-in" at 100 degrees, held for one minute, then ramped to 153 and held for 30 mins. It basically took the HEX 30 minutes to reach 153 and 34 minutes to reach 158 (+5 HEX differential), and roughly took the mash 40 minutes to reach 153.

Here is a quick chart thrown together in Excel:

Old 09-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #43
CrookedChris
Recipes 

First off... Awesome.

Second, and this is probably obvious, but please tell me there's GFCI involved in that circuit somewhere and that your HLT is grounded. Don't want to be a douche bag but just want to make sure we're all playing safe. Sorry if you already mentioned that somewhere and I missed it.

Could you potentially give more information about what you're using for the software end of things. That is, is the interface written in C? Visual Basic? Where did you get the PID code?

I wasn't too surprised to see you were having SSR problems w/out a heat sink. Is that one heat sink being used on all your SSRs? I've got a bit of experience with these and I can tell you confidently that SSR life is greatly diminished w/out proper heat sink use. I'm not sure what the current load on the others is but you might potentially want to consider getting a much larger heat sink or individual heat sinks for each SSR. Although, if not much current's being drawn on the others it might not be a big deal. Usually SSR data sheets have some graphs and recommendations for heat sink use.

Again... that's freaking awesome. I've been thinking for a long time about doing something similar w/ a PLC, LabView, or Visual C++ and a touch screen but don't have anywhere near the time and money that you apparently do. I'm very jealous! Bravo to you sir!

Last edited by CrookedChris; 09-08-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Gramatical corrections

Old 09-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #44
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ahh, so you painted the frame black, nice upgrade.

Just kidding, that is brilliantly insane man.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #45
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedChris View Post
First off... Awesome.

Second, and this is probably obvious, but please tell me there's GFCI involved in that circuit somewhere and that your HLT is grounded. Don't want to be a douche bag but just want to make sure we're all playing safe. Sorry if you already mentioned that somewhere and I missed it.

Could you potentially give more information about what you're using for the software end of things. That is, is the interface written in C? Visual Basic? Where did you get the PID code?

I wasn't too surprised to see you were having SSR problems w/out a heat sink. Is that one heat sink being used on all your SSRs? I've got a bit of experience with these and I can tell you confidently that SSR life is greatly diminished w/out proper heat sink use. I'm not sure what the current load on the others is but you might potentially want to consider getting a much larger heat sink or individual heat sinks for each SSR. Although, if not much current's being drawn on the others it might not be a big deal. Usually SSR data sheets have some graphs and recommendations for heat sink use.

Again... that's freaking awesome. I've been thinking for a long time about doing something similar w/ a PLC, LabView, or Visual C++ and a touch screen but don't have anywhere near the time and money that you apparently do. I'm very jealous! Bravo to you sir!
Yes, all the wall plugs in my brewery have GFCI's built in - including the 220v. While there is always a chance of a major leak, the chances are minimal and would probably happen in the front of the rig, not in the back where the breakout box sits. The touchscreen is fully encased in metal and can withstand getting wet.

The load on the other relays are minimal - they are all rated for 25 amps and are probably pulling < 1 amp each. The 220v relay is rated for 40 amps and the packaging stated that a heatsink was only required above 25 amps. This is obviously wrong as I estimate that the heating element is pulling around 22 amps and that thing was crazy hot.

The API was provided by the manufacturer of the usb device and could be programmed in most any language.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #46
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA View Post
Ahh, so you painted the frame black, nice upgrade.
Someone finally noticed! woot!

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #47
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Here is a little taste of the splash screen. My wife is working on it now. This is from a test of the LCD component's ability to render graphics.

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #48
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Who do I make the check out to and when can I expect delivery?

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

LuckyDuck Likes This 
Old 09-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #49
powerjb
Recipes 

unreal.....

that is absolutely amazing.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #50
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brilliant - completely brilliant If you can't brew consistent beer with that thing, you must be doing something SERIOUSLY wrong!

Quick Reply