Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Deep Six Brewing System - v2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #111
brewjunky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think having the software that would work on a laptop and a USB interface where all of the solenoids would plug into would be a good idea. Making it a simple plug and play system would be easy for users to work with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #112
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjunky View Post
I think having the software that would work on a laptop and a USB interface where all of the solenoids would plug into would be a good idea. Making it a simple plug and play system would be easy for users to work with.
That's what I was thinking about for an arduino based setup. A box with a USB connector and everything just plugs into it (pumps, heating elements, etc.). The actual relays would be inside the box as well (with heatsinks). This is how my brewcart is today, except I'm using a couple of Auber PID's. I could theoretically "transform" mine for the price of an Arduino and some programming time. If I ever get around to it, I'm not sure what language I'd program it in (I don't even have a windows box to even try...) but I guess I could learn Java or something to be cross platform. Would release it as open source, because I'm sure it would need lots of community involvement to be usable.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #113
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, I had hoped to brew on my new setup this weekend but it just didn't happen due to some unexpected personal issues. On the other hand - I was able to pick up my new kettles today.

The software has a "hide pointer" option so that it can run from a touchscreen. It would run just fine from a laptop - another option is a cheap or used tablet PC. The only real issue is that it would have to support 1024x768 or higher resolution.

Before I agree to release it, I will have to create options for Brutus / RIMs systems. There are a lot of options but they are all very realistic to add into the app - just have to get it all worked out...

Last edited by John Beere; 09-15-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: correction

Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #114
ScottyBones

Recipes 

great work John. keep it up! very interested as well.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #115
CrookedChris
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere View Post
A good example is the PH electrode integration we are working on. I'm not even going to go into the EE issues we are working through, but I will say that even if you get it working, you are in for trouble if you don't offer a robust calibration routine as well as have an algorithm to handle temperature offsets.
I'm an EE and develop calibration routines for industrial/automotive sensors as part of my job. I'd love to see what challenges your facing if you can share.

Last edited by CrookedChris; 09-15-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #116
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedChris View Post
I'm an EE and develop calibration routines for industrial/automotive sensor for a living. I'd love to see what challenges your facing if you can share.
I don't have all my notes in front of me - and I'm not the EE - but it has to do with amplifying the output of the PH probe into readable voltage by the LabJack. The temperature calibration routine doesn't look like it is going to be that challenging as it is linear. We still don't have a working amplifier, but the other thing I am trying to take into consideration is the fact that ph probes can apparently lose up to 70% of the output voltage in time or if not cleaned properly...

Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #117
Full Throttle
Recipes 

John, I have an amplifier I sell that we use on a type K thermocouple so that they can be connected to data logging systems, has a 0-5 volt output. I would be happy to send you one to try on your PH probe. Not sure it would work but the price is right if interested PM a note with your address
Mike Licht

Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #118
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
John, I have an amplifier I sell that we use on a type K thermocouple so that they can be connected to data logging systems, has a 0-5 volt output. I would be happy to send you one to try on your PH probe. Not sure it would work but the price is right if interested PM a note with your address
Mike Licht
Awesome - will do. Thanks much...

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #119
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Wow! This system is amazing. Congrats!!

Just a side note from a legal perspective...have you been considering patents for the design? You can get patents for the current design and get new ones for subsequent modifications to the base prototype. If you are considering selling this thing (which you definitely should) I'd consider getting them sooner rather than later (if you haven't already), especially since you are sharing information on a public forum. Would hate to see someone profit from your ideas, albeit you haven't shared significant detail.

Again, congrats on this project! It's amazing.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #120
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Have you taken a look at the LAB-Tick amplifier board for the Ph probe?, looks like the input impedance would work, just need to bias the Ph probe with +2.5 V to get full range output (Ph probe output polarity reverses above Ph 7). As to probe maintenace and signal loss from electrolyte dilution you can prolong the life of the probe by storing the glass element in the concentrated electrolyte solution when not in use.

Quick Reply