New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Deep Six Brewery - back in action!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Deep Six Brewery - back in action!

As some of you know, my house got flooded last April and I've been out of brewing since then. Loooong story short, we are breaking ground on a dedicated (home) brewery tomorrow. The original plan was to build it 16'x24' but there is some damn code here in Valdosta which requires any out-buildings to be at least 15' away from the primary residence.. meaning I am scrambling to figure out what to do as I don't want to move where the building is built.

Below is the initial footprint of the brewery before the city revoked it..

My builder is coming over in about an hour to discuss options. I would like some advice on the overall size of the building as others see it.. would 18'x22' be better than 16'x24'? what about 20'x20'? I'm talking about how the layout of brewery.. I know that is incredibly vague, but if this was your brewery, how would you build it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I would prefer a rectangular arrangement versus a square one but that's just me. Rectangular would also buy you the ability to maintain a similar area/volume in a similar location yet would allow for the 15' you need to be up to code.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Hmm, hard to say, I would say rectangular. Not sure why, just seems to flow better. Also, if you have two separate spaces (one for brewing, one for enjoying the brew), a more rectangular structure makes that easier.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I highly suggest looking into google sketchup and laying out the brewery before building. Even if you just make simple dimensioned boxes for your fridges, brewery chairs etc. it will help you visualize the space and how best to lay it out.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

IPAdrinker Likes This 
Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I need to build a brew shed so I can build my garage into a bar with 8 taps. I'm all about the 8 tap setup...

Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I just went out there and measured.. there is plenty of room for it at 16'x24' moved a few more feet down to where it is 15' away from the house. Rectangular was my thoughts as well, but I'd still like other's opinions as it is not too late.

Can you tell from the photo how tall it is going to have to be built to get it to the same height as the floor system in my house? heh

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I highly suggest looking into google sketchup and laying out the brewery before building. Even if you just make simple dimensioned boxes for your fridges, brewery chairs etc. it will help you visualize the space and how best to lay it out.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

I've already done that.. just didn't want to post it and have that affect other's opinions. ;-)

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you building it similar to how a home wouldbe built? With a concrete foundation, block foundation and then sub floor....or just laying a concrete pad and building off that?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think there would be something to be said about a square layout with a nice work station in the center.

You could have a "race-track" layout with all the fixtures and equipment around the edges of the room, then some stainless tables in the middle for workspace.

Are you going to put a drinking lounge area in there? If so I think a rectangle could be more conducive to separate spaces (ala drinking/brewing)

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
J-Malone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the layout you have in the picture. I would definitely want a lagering room/walk-in cooler in it...maybe in one side or the other (on the opposite side of the brewery from the boil kettles and stuff for efficiencies sake). I would also build it kind of tall (high ceilings) to allow you to utilize the dead space up high for storage of stock grains, kegs, bottles...just all the extra equipment that you need for production but that way it is out of the way. I would configure it to be over my walkin cooler and have a ladder or stairs that go up to it (kind of like you see in houses with lofts).

Just some of the things I would want in my brewery...good luck and I will be following the progress....

Last edited by J-Malone; 02-24-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply