Danby DAR482 BLS 4.4 cu ft mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Danby DAR482 BLS 4.4 cu ft mini fridge w/stainless door
Scratch & Dent refurb Special on Ebay
$117 shipped (had to pay tax in SC otherwise it would have been $109)

SCORE!!! :mug:

Picked up some 18" drawer pulls as trim rails. just need to save for the three Gauge, Dual Body CO2 Regulator that allows 2 different pressures, and a dual tap tower. For now I can use picnic taps.

Also From Danby on the DAR484 BLS & DAR440:

Thank you for contacting Danby Products Ltd.

Please be advised that the moment that you alter a Danby compact unit, you would immediately be voiding ALL manufacturers warranty. Going forward, you would be responsible for any and all repairs to the unit.

Secondly, in regards to both of these units, the coils run along the inside of the side walls.

We cannot tell you how to remove the door shelving, unfortunately, as we do not recommend that people alter their units whatsoever. We also, simply do not have that information.

Sincerely,

Consumer Service Department
Danby Products Ltd.

Cool deal. I literally just walked in the door this evening with a DAR440BL. I went to HHGregg this evening to get some measurements on chest freezers but stumbled onto the fridge as a floor model they claim is being discontinued. $99 and it still has a $10 mail in rebate available.

I love mine! I actually went right to the 2 towers (keg cowboy here had a deal I couldn't pass up)... and just found some 1" round tap handles that give it a different look.

I had one problem. the unit short cycled on me once, and stopped cooling (after I installed taps) but I unplugged let sit a day, started cooling again and has been fine since.

I have mine dialed it at 40° and it's been consistent. Fits the bill for force carbing and serving. (I'd like to serve a bit warmer but once I had it dialed in to 40 I decided to just leave it)

I'll post some pics here later with new tap handles. I'll pull the kegs and show inside on easiest way to keep 5lb co2 bungied in.

3 18" ebay drawer pulls give a nice finished look.

Also found a stainless drip tray that fits perfect for 2 taps

106_1449.JPG

0210112017.jpg

0210112016.jpg

Had some old internal shots from my phone & my camera (so no unhooking) new shot of new tap handles from phone.

Oh, I cut a small piece of the shelf trim for the glass shelf. and made a wedge to keep the internal light off. once you take the door shelf out light stays on. When I need to work in there I just pull the little plastic piece out of the light trigger.

I also mounted 5/16" inch ply under plastic top trim. makes top more rigid to bolt in tower. used metal duct tape to seal between inside of fridge and plywood.

Cut a few small pices of ply to makes rails more solid there is a raised track (you'll see) just cut pieces to fit. I used a piece of ply to cover under full area of top a smaller piece could be used but I had it, so I figure I'd fill it. just makes it more solid. From the factory it's padded with foam strips. If you have any questions when it comes to doing this PM me or post a message here.

I used cheap harbor freight hole saw kit, but get your self some good cutting oil (also from Harbor freight or at least some 3-in-one oil. All I had on hand was wD40 and it smoked bad, and I probably took some life out of the hole saw bit!

My keg kit from KegConnection showed up Friday so with the new fridge and a batch in the secondary I hit the local paintball park today and over paid for a CO2 fill, but hey, my first ever keg batch is chilling and carbonating as we speak. Haven't taken the front door inner frame off since one keg fits just fine with it on, but I will have to for sure to get two kegs to fit.

Nice!! I scored one of these fridges too. I ended up sawing off the plastic piece that held the bottom shelf so I didn't have to shove the kegs in.

Great idea with the plywood! I didn't think of that!

Anybody care to give an update on how this bad boy works out after running for awhile? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one at wal mart for 174.00. Would like to know if it has some life to it.. Thanks.

Working great! I did have a short cycle on the compressor once, but after unplugging and replugging in 15 minutes later in no issues since.

Latest posts

Back