Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Danby DAR125SLDD Kegerator Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonReview View Post
I think I'll do the same and go with the washers instead of putting in a piece of ply wood. Also - I don't think I'm going to put a fan in mine, but I do plan on using a copper pipe for the tubes to run through. Should I go with a bigger diameter of pipe? My thinking is that the bigger the hole in the top of the fridge and the bigger the pipe, the more cold air will get up in the tower...
Here is how I have my copper tubes set up, they run all the way to top of tower.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
AfternoonReview
Recipes 

Thanks for the pics, starrfish. How big did you make the hole in the top of the fridge? Do you have a fan in the fridge or not?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonReview View Post
Thanks for the pics, starrfish. How big did you make the hole in the top of the fridge? Do you have a fan in the fridge or not?
2" hole and no fan. Copper tubes that long keep the tower plenty cool, cool to touch, but no sweating issues. And that's here in SC where temps can get hot.

I would recommend picking up some cutting oil, I didn't have any to start, and was using wd40, until it started to smoke (which didn't take long, thought it was going to burst into flames) ran out to harbor freight which is close by, and used that to finish hole.

I also picked up the metal duct work tape to seal hole to prevent moisture and condensation from getting into foam and guts of fridge. this tape is covered by flange on tower and cannot be seen once tower is in place. (photo is of plastic trim top on my model fridge but hole through fridge is sealed with same tape. I also cut a piece of plywood to go under plastic top to make plastic more rigid, sealed this as well with tape.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
AfternoonReview
Recipes 

Cool - thanks for the pics.
I ended up doing this on Saturday. Looks great, but one thing has me concerned. I powered the fridge up about 15 hours ago, and it's still buzzing. I don't think it's stopped since I plugged it in. It seems it's not getting cold enough for the compressor to stop working. I put a thermometer in there and the temp is about 48.
I ended up cutting a 2 inch hole like starrfish and I lined it with metal tape to keep the insulation protected. This morning, I shoved a plastic grocery bag around the copper tube to seal off the 2 inch hole, hoping that this would help insulate the fridge so that it can get cold enough to shut itself off.
Anybody know where the factory temp gauge is on this fridge? Maybe something (tubing, co2 tank, etc) is blocking the temp gauge from getting an accurate reading? Or maybe it will just take a few more hours for this thing to get cold enough for the fridge insides to rest?
Gotta leave home now, so hopefully the fridge will be ok for a while...

Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If compressor is buzzing turn dial to off, unplug it, an let it sit for a while. Plug it back in after more than 15min (I usually wait 30min or more). There may be a vapor lock in coils keeping coolant from cycling. Buzz is pretty loud if coolant isn't circulating, normal operation is pretty quiet on these Danbys.

I've had this happen a few times, the first time was right after completion of build, and I could have sworn I screwed something up!. This last time was after a power outage, common issue with these fridges.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
AfternoonReview
Recipes 

Hmm. It's not buzzing loudly or any differently than normal. It's just that it hasn't stopped buzzing since I plugged it in yesterday. Normally a fridge will buzz for a little while and shut off intermittently as the desired temperature is reached. Maybe it's just going to take awhile.
Starrfish thanks for the help - good to hear you had the same issue right after the completion of your build.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
time2trade
Recipes 

Hi DeNomad - thanks for the great information. I'm looking forward to doing this build. Complete noob at it, but these directions look great. Wanted to ask for a visual on the step below.

My questions are around it's setup using the tee, mounting the fan assembly in the project box, and how you powered it/ where you ran the power...maybe I missed that..

Thanks!

5. Run tubing. I added a 1" tee to the end of the pipe in the fridge. With my fan mounted in the project box with a 1-1/8" hole it the box fit snugly on the tee and blows air up the tower for cooling. I ran the lines through a 1" cap fitting with holes 1/64" smaller than the OD of the beer line. This made a pretty tight seal and makes sure air goes up the copper pipe.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #28
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2trade View Post
Hi DeNomad - thanks for the great information. I'm looking forward to doing this build. Complete noob at it, but these directions look great. Wanted to ask for a visual on the step below.

My questions are around it's setup using the tee, mounting the fan assembly in the project box, and how you powered it/ where you ran the power...maybe I missed that..

Thanks!

5. Run tubing. I added a 1" tee to the end of the pipe in the fridge. With my fan mounted in the project box with a 1-1/8" hole it the box fit snugly on the tee and blows air up the tower for cooling. I ran the lines through a 1" cap fitting with holes 1/64" smaller than the OD of the beer line. This made a pretty tight seal and makes sure air goes up the copper pipe.
Glad your finding it helpful time2trade.

The fan is powered with a 12V DC power supply (aka wall wort) I got from an electronics store. I ran the cord from the power supply through the drain pipe in the back of the fridge. You can see the cord here:

So you have to clip off the end of the cord, run it through the drain pipe, then solder it to the correct wires on the computer fan. I recommend experimenting with the wires to figure out which goes where. The computer fan will only work if wired correctly and the wires on the power supply are unmarked. Make sure not to touch the wires of the power supply together even when it is unplugged. The large capacitor in the power supply holds charge for a long time and if the wires touch and short they can easily ruin the power supply - cover one wire with electrical tape to prevent this.

The fan mounted in a box fits snugly on the tee fitting, the cord dangles off the box. The lines in the step you quoted are beer lines (just to be clear).

Hope that helps.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #29
schreck
Recipes 

Can anyone confirm if this will also take a 1/6 bbl keg. On occasion I would like to serve some beers on tap from the local breweries. Also would the 1/6bbl fit with a 5gal Ball Lock Corny. Thanks in advance.

Great how to. Great thread. Bout to pick this thing up this week and get started on the build this weekend.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #30
henryfdez
Recipes 

Hey guys, has anyone done one of these with the taps through the door instead of using the tower? Id like to make it using the shanks as they are cheaper and I wouldnt have to worry about cooling the tower or anything. Would there be enough room to have the 2 shanks go in just above the cornys? Also, I'd love to use this as my fermentation chamber but I doubt my 6.5gal ale pail will fit...its 12'' in diameter...What exact container could I use to ferment a full 5gal batch in the 4.4 Danby? Thanks!

Quick Reply