Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cutting Mitres for a keezer collar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #21
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

There are basically two kinds of carpenters in the world. The kind that frame up houses and the kind that make violins. A skilled carpenter knows how to compensate for the imperfections of both the tools and the materials. Sure, the more advanced jointing technique would be the best way to go, but only a very few of us have the skill and the equipment they require. I still think that a clean and tight butt joint is the best option for the average weekend warrior when building something like this. I built mine using doweled butt joints. Well sanded and painted they look about the same anyway. Natural or stained finishes don't cover defects as well as paint does. I would never attempt a precision miter cut using a hand held circular saw with or without a guide. You can make a Ryobi perform as well as a DeWalt if you know the right tricks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Granted a one purpose tool for dead nuts perfect 22.5 and 45 degree miter cuts but oh what a dream to use including house baseboards.
I don't think my house has a single wall that was a perfect 90 degrees I had to tweak the angle on every single outside corner baseboard!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #23
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2770 Times on 2719 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester369 View Post
I don't think my house has a single wall that was a perfect 90 degrees I had to tweak the angle on every single outside corner baseboard!
agreed. All these tools for perfect angles are a great idea in theory, not the guy building the house didn't use them so it's moot point And lets face it, we're not building ,museum pieces. 43-44.5° is good enough.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #24
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Erik, I hear ya about walls not being square I recall this in newer construction houses back in 77 when I did residential electrical.
I have baseboards with picture frame mouldings near the ceiling as well at top levels of window frames on acouple houses.
The 1905, 1913, 1931 and 1936 house all have square walls with only slight settling problems I releveled years ago. Real carpenters built houses with pride back in the early 1900's.
There are a lot of a880's era homes on this island plus contractor friends restoring them, i've had the privilege to be hired installing missing or broken trim, this FrameSquare has been a money maker for me considering it's a freebie. I made aluminum wedges allowing for not so 90* miters for newer construction homes.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #25
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Real carpenters built houses with pride back in the early 1900's.
Just one more reason why I hope to build my next home - I can be as exacting as I want! I'll have to borrow your rig for the trim then, since it will all be done right!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Just one more reason why I hope to build my next home - I can be as exacting as I want! I'll have to borrow your rig for the trim then, since it will all be done right!

I hope you have a lot of free time, I have been working on a 1500 sq ft addition for a year and a half.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I hope you have a lot of free time, I have been working on a 1500 sq ft addition for a year and a half.
A year and a half, that's all?
I've surpassed 8 years on the 1,200' 1905 house, shower sliding glass just installed, carpets, linoleum and window coverings next. I'm 96% restored, basement laundry room / work area sheetrocked 17' 6" x 14' 8" a toasty quiet room.
I releveled, central heat, full copper plumbing, I did a 200 amp service change, double windows with "E" ratings, new roof, fully insulated. Silent inside holds temps be it summer or winter. Car finish on doors and door frames (removed 17 layers paint). Cut out then added wood where doors and frames had damaged wood missing. Tig welded cast door latches latch cams from wear, I went over the top spray painting all framework not that airless crap. Back injury delays, hired help are overpriced total hacks no thanks. Sory a bit OT ya think?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #28
lotbfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

be a man and dovetail those joints!

I gave up on miters and went with a butt joint, next time when I build a collar, I am going to just pay the guy at the cabinet shop down the road 10 bucks to make the cuts for me... maybe that is an option for you.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #29
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:

If you have drywall, your corners will never be square. Even if the framer does a perfect job, mudding the corners (inside and out) will cause them to be <> 90.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #30
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Lath & plaster all houses with wainscoting in the 1905 house, pantry cabinet shelves made of one piece pine 26 1/2" wide, goofy hand made fired fireplace bricks, kitchen had a chimney sticking into kitchen. Wavey glass with bubbles plus coal box in the fireplace, gas lamp lighting fixtures found in the attic.

Quick Reply