The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cut keg top for false bottom?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default Cut keg top for false bottom?

Here is an idea that I came up with today...

I have several old keg tops that are sitting doing nothing, and I thought that I might be able to modify them so they will act as a false bottom.

I trimmed teh old sanke coupler fitting off of the top of the keg top, and grinded it down smooth, so that I am left with essentially a concave disc, that is twelve inches around.

A rubber stopper fits perfectly into the new hole (is the stopper okay for mash temps?)

A copper pickup tube from the bulkhead, pushed throught the hole in the stopper after I enlarged the center hole. This moves all the way through the stopper to about 1/2 inch from bottom.

I took the angle grinder and cut small slits moving from the center of the disc to the edge. There are about 8 rows of slits, ten per row.

I will test this on wednesday, and see how this new false bottom works

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Zamial Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This is a great idea. Keep us posted on the result.

Another idea down that same road. If you didn't cut off the sanke neck. You could use a tri-clamp and cap. Drill the cap and insert your dip tube. Could decrease the chances of knocking out the stopper when you stir.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

This seems like one of those "why didn't I think of that" kind of things. It's so simple it has to work, and for the price who cares if it doesn't.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

I have two tops sitting there from my kegs as well. I also thought about using them as false bottoms. My plan is to plasma cut the areas in between the "triangles" and spot weld some SS mesh that I got from the scrapyard over the top of it. I might decide to go with a coarser "prefilter" over that. Maybe something with larger holes. We'll see how the mesh works though. I anticipate it being so fine that it will get clogged though.

Then only have to fashion a hole for the dip tube to fit into in the center. Weld a piece of SS with a hole drilled in and whammo! Done.

So at the speed at which my projects get done, I anticipate this going into use sometime next month or so...

Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great idea.

Homer-I would not suggest a "prefilter". That would just allow smaller particles through, which could pack tight and clog the smaller filter. With a filter, you want the holes about the size of median particle (grist) size. It holds those back, and it forms a natural filter. Smaller particles are expected to come through, at least until the natural filter develops (you recirculate until this happens). At least that is how you design ground water well screens. I admittedly have zero experience with false bottoms.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWHAHB View Post
Great idea.

Homer-I would not suggest a "prefilter". That would just allow smaller particles through, which could pack tight and clog the smaller filter. With a filter, you want the holes about the size of median particle (grist) size. It holds those back, and it forms a natural filter. Smaller particles are expected to come through, at least until the natural filter develops (you recirculate until this happens). At least that is how you design ground water well screens. I admittedly have zero experience with false bottoms.
Yeah, you may be right. I was not thinking about using it for a Mash tun. I was thinking for straining hops after the boil.

However, if I build my RIMS system, I would have to have a pump. And if I have a pump, I may change to recirculating my wort during the chill. Need to think about this some more.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #7
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default This thing kicks !@#

The flow on this thing couldnt be better...I am ready for my new pump, and the herms coil. It drains as fast as the boil kettle, even though it is through a grain bed, and filter. I probably lost about a half gallon in the mash tun, but it looks like for now the efficiency into the the boil was about 86%!

Here is a pic of the finished product. Cost about $5.00.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10848872...30347857091442

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

thats kick a$$

Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Teufelhunden
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ben,
Thanks for the idea. I just cut my keg and still have the lid. Also, are those weld-less fittings?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
extra_medium
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

best DIY project i have seen in a while. this onr will actually SAVE me money. i have been holding off on a false bottom since my cooler mash tun works, but now i can convert that extra sanke into a MT. awesome, just an awesome idea.

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

Quick Reply