Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cut the compressor hump or build a collar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
stoneBriar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Cut the compressor hump or build a collar?

I'm looking for opinions on if I should cut the compressor hump or build a collar for my mini-fridge (essentially which will be easier given the story I'm about to write).

I'd like to expand the fridge to hold 2 pin lock kegs for storage/lagering purposes (I have a separate kegerator). I've already cut the shelving out of the inside and removed the stuff from the door. Yesterday I bent the freezer compartment back against the rear wall of the fridge for more room. I need ~3 1/4" of extra space to close the door with two kegs. Looking at the compressor, it only takes up a fraction of the space reserved for it, so I believe I could removed a few inches of the hump and invert that section with a combination of reflectix and spray foam.

The other option I contemplated was building a wedge collar for those extra few inches. I'm not sure I know exactly how to secure a collar to the unit, so if this is your preferred expansion method, I'm open to suggestions! As far as my native skill set is concerned, I'm FAR better at cutting things than I am at making anything that fits together square, so perhaps take that into consideration

piece-cut.jpg   collar.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
sparkshooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Build the collar. That's relatively straight forward - just take off the door, cut some lumber and insulation, a few screws and brackets...then some weatherstripping and put the door back on the front. It sounds like this doesn't have to be pretty.

Edit: just to be clear, I was thinking a full collar, not a wedge collar. Why mess with angles?

On Tap:
Brazen Badger IPA, Red Panda Irish Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply