New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Custom Conical Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Hebrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'm still learning and i'm plannin on getting the "how to brew" book soon. For now i'm gunno go do a search on "yeast harvesting"....I'm still debating. what's the best quantities to do this in? i feel like 12 Gallons would be too much, and 5 might not be worth the trouble.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, so why are there 2 valves on a conical? I see one on the bottom and one kinda off the side toward the bottom.......I stopped in at the local home brew outlet, and they were pretty helpful, but i just wanted to go in with a little more info before asking for help on this project.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Bottom is for trub removal and yeast harvesting... The top one is for sampling and racking off the yeast cake...

I believe you can also just use the bottom after the yeast is out to rack from there...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #14
funkswing
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
i'm still learning and i'm plannin on getting the "how to brew" book soon. For now i'm gunno go do a search on "yeast harvesting"....I'm still debating. what's the best quantities to do this in? i feel like 12 Gallons would be too much, and 5 might not be worth the trouble.
What are you doing thinking about building/buying a conical? I know your name is Hebrew, but try not to live up to that so hard......

Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #15
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews View Post
I'm new to this, but i do know that having the proper tools is usually the foundation to any job. So, i like having the best i can get, the only problem is the best is usually the most expensive.

In my case, i work for a company that i can have manufacture me a custom Conicle S/S Fermenter. Problem is, i don't know where to start. I know i'd like it to be around 5-7 Gallons. But i've never seen one in person so i don't know the first thing...
Question, if you were in this situation, what would you do? what would you add? Dimensions? Valves? Give me some ideas.
Hebrews, check this out for your conical, have your shop weld one up with legs as these conicals can be purchased with flat and domed lids from the same company. Toledo, pick your wanted volume why shell out big money?
http://www.toledometalspinning.com/ I would go larger in case you expand, don't limit yourself.
You have the upper hand on cost savings vs a outright purchase using your shop to complete this project, money saved for other brewing items is my thinking, your not being cheap just smart.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #16
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkswing View Post
What are you doing thinking about building/buying a conical? I know your name is Hebrew, but try not to live up to that so hard......
First off, the reason i want to ask questions and buy/ build my own is because they exist. And there must be a reason they exist and sell or they wouldn't be selling. DUH.

Second, My name isn't actually "hebrew". My name is Micah, which is a hebrew name, which means; one who is like Christ. Not saying I am, cause i know i'm not, (so don't go gettin' all excited on that last statment). I'm actually 1/2 Italian and 1/2 Irish. But the HE-Brew's name goes way back to a joke...."bet ya didn't know the bible says the men are supposed to make the coffee? Yep, just look at the book of Hebrews." And since you brew beer, i thought it fitting...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 AM   #17
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Dang it Micah ya made me spill coffee into my keypad I was laughing so hard with the cup in hand reading your reply. Cheers for you brother.
In Africa it's the womens duty to brew the bier, this then Shebrews?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
funkswing
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well, He-Brews, you are going to want a some type of glycol jacket for your fermenter. But if you are making one that is only 7 gals max., then you could get away with keeping it in a fermentation chamber that wouldn't have to be that big. But for max. control and reproducibility of recipes, I would fab a glycol loop out of copper.

My brewpub brewer friend used to brew in SS conicals that used to make Pepto bismol. They were OK, but they didn't have glycol jackets so you had to roll them into the fermentation chamber (a huge walk-in freezer). Then you can't really control the temp. that well with large batches, which almost makes it not worth it to invest in the conicals.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so kind of a double lined fermenter? i was wondering about temp control. From what i'm reading its really important. Obviously, as a married man my wife isn't thrilled about the idea of having it in the house to control temp. I was reading on williams brewing about the "controller 2" would that be enough to keep it at temp? Also, what is recommended to run in this copper coil to keep it warm/cool, and what gear is needed to keep it at the required temp? It seams like a lot, but i think if i take my time and do it right it could be worth it.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
Hebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Dang it Micah ya made me spill coffee into my keypad I was laughing so hard with the cup in hand reading your reply. Cheers for you brother.
In Africa it's the womens duty to brew the bier, this then Shebrews?
Glad i could be of assistance. i'll post some pics later of the drawing i've got started. Speaking of Copper glycol lines, is there a specific brand or food grade copper i'd need....i work for a HVAC mechanical and plumbing contractor so i have access to lots of the equipment i'd need.

Quick Reply