The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Critique My Rig Idea - Single-Pump HERMS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
goofiefoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

P-J - thanks for the concern. I was a little worried by your first response, as the images are pretty important to what I'm hoping to get feedback on. I'm glad they're visible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I recently built a 2 vessel no sparge brew rig with one pump like this and it works great. Regularly netting me an efficiency of 70-75%

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 01-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In step 5 you could pump your sparge water through the HEX coil to rinse it out before the water gets to the MLT. This would only require one more hose and would help keep that HEX coil really clean, especially since you want to run wort through the inside. Otherwise I really like your diagram and I am planning on building a similar system in the near future.

What are your plans for stirring/recirculating the HLT water?

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
goofiefoot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
In step 5 you could pump your sparge water through the HEX coil to rinse it out before the water gets to the MLT. This would only require one more hose and would help keep that HEX coil really clean, especially since you want to run wort through the inside. Otherwise I really like your diagram and I am planning on building a similar system in the near future.

What are your plans for stirring/recirculating the HLT water?
Nice! I like the suggestion! I've been planning for 3 hoses as it is, and this fits in perfectly.

As far as the HLT water, I'll start out and see how the system performs, then "innovate" as I see fit. Most likely I'll start out hand-stirring, then figure it out from there.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
redbs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I don't see any pictures either but it sounds nice to me. I think that building things for this hobby is almost as much fun as the actual brewing it's self!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
TheWortLord
Recipes 

I'm looking to build a very similar set up. How long is your HERMS coil?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
goofiefoot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This thing has been a delayed work in progress, since my daughter was born a bit early on May 14. Once I catch up a bit on my sleep and get some sort of routine, I'll post some pics.

I have most everything set up and have completed a test run with water. The weak point right now is the HERMS coil as a chiller, as it just isn't cooling as quickly as I hoped. I plan to initially just go back to using it with water as an immersion chiller in the boil kettle. To answer your question, rwc332, it's a 25-30' coil.

I'll update when I can.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Congrats on the daughter! I'm in the same boat except mine is almost 17months old now.

I'm actually looking to do something very similar to this. I actually have the majority of the equipment now, but am hoping to get a welder at some point and build a proper stand for everything.

I would suggest going with a CFC or plate chiller rather than going back to the IC. Add a QD or two to the chiller and you won't go back. I recently made a CFC myself and am considering using my old IC as my HERMS coil as well. If you do that, you can then use your HLT ice bath HERMS coil as a pre-chiller if you want to get the temp down a little more.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
OG2620
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr

Not sure what "fixed" means when all of the pictures actually showed fine before...

Cheers!
I love this site.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

You said you already have everything set up, but here are a few opinions I’ve had after setting up my single tier system. Hopefully it helps some people who are looking here:

1. If you’re looking to save money, aluminum camlocks from proflowdynamics are awesome if you don’t care about the bling bling factor of stainless. I bought extras just incase they get dinged up to bad.

2. In order to get efficient heat exchange, you need to continuously agitate the water in the HLT. This goes for mashing/sparging, but more importantly for chilling since the temperature differential is so much higher. A pump is probably the best idea for this, since you can use them both interchangeably (and also have a backup in the event that one fails), but a mechanical stirrer could also work at less of a capital cost. Agitation becomes MUCH more important if you get into temperature controlling via either electric or gas control panel.

3. Think about not locking yourself down by mounting the copper coil in the HLT, but rather allowing it to be moved between the HLT and BK by mounting it to a lid or something similar. That way you can use the coil as an immersion chiller if you would like (It saves on ice if you run tap water through the IC until the wort gets down to about 130 or so, then switch over to ice water recirculation… this is another opportunity where the second pump is an advantage).

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Quick Reply