The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > CPVC Manifold for 48qt Igloo Cube MLT - too much deadspace?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Ichthy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default CPVC Manifold for 48qt Igloo Cube MLT - too much deadspace?

Guys

I converted a 48 qt Igloo Cube cooler to an MLT and constructed a CPVC manifold to fit my bulkhead. I followed Bobby M's recommendations on bulkhead construction. The cooler came from the factory with a spigot, which I removed to install my bulkhead. Problem is that hole is not at the very bottom of the cooler. When I attach the manifold to the bulkhead there is about a 1/2" gap from the bottom of the manifold to the cooler bottom. I can rotate the manifold down so that the rear portion of the manifold touches the bottom of the cooler (now the entire manifold is sitting at a slight angle).

I would like to have the entire manifold resting on the cooler bottom, but don't see how this is possible because if I add any more fittings (e.g., a piece of soft hose or a 45) the manifold will be about 4 inches from the cooler wall (bulkhead side).

So, will this extra deadspace be an issue in terms of efficiency or stuck sparges? Should I just increase my sparge volume to make up for what is lost?

P.S. I have yet to mash with this setup. I'm trying to get everything in order and well planned before I attempt my first AG.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hard to put into words, but what I have seen done is that the manifold sits on the bottom of the cooler. The connection to the manifold is made to the center longitudinal part of the manifold w a tee and elbow/45 of sorts that rises up to the cooler output.

Perhaps you could reinstall the spigot and drill a hole on the oppisite side of the cooler closer to the bottom and then reinstall the manifold?

If you double batch sparge, your efficiency might not suffer that much by having a lot of dead space, but it is not ideal.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks wilserbrewer! I've seen the modification you're speaking of and it looks kind of wonky.

Can anyone who employs that type of manifold chime in? Is it okay that the wort drains from the center of the tun.

I might plug the factory hole and redrill, that seems to be the best solution?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A center collecting manifold will pull vacuum more evenly across the manifold. Having the outlet on the side will mean higher vacuum near the outlet and lower vacuum force on the far side. Center collecting is also easier to get the height of the outlet right.

All around better design IMHO.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The connection to tubing that runs across the middle of the manifold through a 90 elbow should do the trick. Look at post #7 here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cooler-mash-tun-128216/

I know your design is a little different but it's the same concept.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All right, you guys convinced me. I'll go pick up another 90 this weekend and go with the center drain.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply