Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Coverting non-cold plate soda dispenser to jockey box - feasible?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Coverting non-cold plate soda dispenser to jockey box - feasible?

forumrunner_20120603_150957.jpg

Above is the picture of the insides of a Pepsi dispenser I purchased. Original thoughts were to clean it up and dispense beer from the kitchen, but its too loud.

I made a thread about it and someone mentioned if it were a cold plate style I could rip it out and make a jockey box out of it, but its not.

Any ideas if it is still a feasible project with this type of tubing?

I have an interest in turning this old marketing transporter thing into a jockey box since its so tall, obviously I'd have to insulate it. It appears to be wide enough to accept the coils without bending even if I insulate it with an inch of foam around the circumference.

forumrunner_20120603_151440.jpg

forumrunner_20120603_151453.jpg

I thought of 4 taps spiraling around it realty perks my interest.

If not, I can fit 1 corny keg inside it with ice and insulation, but I'd rather have more! Lol

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Lurkmoar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

If that is a Counter Electric, it looks like missing a agitator. If it works I would clean it up and turn it into an Glycol chiller all you would need a recirculation pump.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkmoar
If that is a Counter Electric, it looks like missing a agitator. If it works I would clean it up and turn it into an Glycol chiller all you would need a recirculation pump.
Its not missing anything. I took off the overhead assembly for the picture.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Sorry to rudely bump this, but I was hoping to get opinions before I rip this thing apart this week or toss it on the curb.

Edit: I just did the math, each run has ~20' of coil inside the water batch portion. The minimum I've seen people recommend for a jockey box without additional keg cooling is 50', and its not worth the hassle I'd put into it.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Lurkmoar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I think you might be able to make a great Glycol chiller with this set up. I have installed many of those machines before and in Arizona with our ground water being so hot with room temperature syrup they tend to cool the Soda down too 36-38 F inside a building in the middle of summer. I have never used one for beer.

Note: Thoese coils get surround by a block of ice at all time. The agitator motor stops the whole water bath from freezing over.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS