Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Countertop Brutus 20

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #131
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
JK, I just saw a pic of Sacc's sparge "arm" on his no sparge thread. Do you think there is a benefit to dispersing the recirculation water in the MLT like he does? As an old fly sparger, I have a small concern about dumping the recirculation water in the same spot over and over again. Just curious if you think this has any effect on the final product.
When I was originally designing this system I had planned on doing a sparge arm of some sort. I think it was Jamil and Palmer who talked me out of it in a brew strong episode when they said as long as there's a layer of water / wort on top of the grain bed (as there should be), the sparge arm is pointless. I just run a hose down from the MLT lid that rests on top of the grain bed to avoid splashing. There's always a nice thick protein sludge layer on top of the grainbed after everything runs out to the kettle so it seems to be working well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #132
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
When I was originally designing this system I had planned on doing a sparge arm of some sort. I think it was Jamil and Palmer who talked me out of it in a brew strong episode when they said as long as there's a layer of water / wort on top of the grain bed (as there should be), the sparge arm is pointless. I just run a hose down from the MLT lid that rests on top of the grain bed to avoid splashing. There's always a nice thick protein sludge layer on top of the grainbed after everything runs out to the kettle so it seems to be working well.
Thanks, I figured you had thought of it. Nothing like busting out two homebrew heavyweights to back it up! I'll go back to my little noob corner over here.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #133
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No, no, keep 'em coming. There's ALWAYS room for improvement and new ideas.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #134
FairWxBrewing
Recipes 

Saw the article in BYO. Congrats!!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 AM   #135
wgbanks
Brew Junkie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Great looking setup and most likely the model I will use to transition to AG. Now I will admit I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have been looking at your pics for the last two nights and still have a nagging question. How is the chilled water for the CFC separated from the recirculating wort? From the top pic of the pump/CFC it appear that they are plumbed together. What concept am I missing in the design? Any clarity for my lack of understanding will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 AM   #136
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgbanks View Post
Great looking setup and most likely the model I will use to transition to AG. Now I will admit I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have been looking at your pics for the last two nights and still have a nagging question. How is the chilled water for the CFC separated from the recirculating wort? From the top pic of the pump/CFC it appear that they are plumbed together. What concept am I missing in the design? Any clarity for my lack of understanding will be greatly appreciated.
A counterflow chiller flows the chill water from your tap through the garden hose. The hot wort flows through the copper tubing inside the garden hose. They flow in opposite directions and never come in contact with each other. The hot wort flows into the bottom of the bucket and out the top in this setup. The chill water flows in at the top of the bucket and out of the bottom back into your sink in this setup. They are not plumbed together. This is a how a CFC (counterflow chiller) is built.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #137
wgbanks
Brew Junkie
Recipes 

Thanks for the additional info. When I look at the pic of the CFC on the 1st page of this post it looks like the the upper chill hose tees into the upper wort transfer line. For some reason this is just not making since to me. The wort supply is plumbed through the ball valve that is connected to a short piece of silicon tubing which is then connected to a tee which seems to have the exterior chill hose and the interior spiral tubing wrapped in what appears to be garden hose all meeting at this union. That for some reason this has me perplexed and trust me I can walk and chew gum at the same time but this is just not making since. Sorry to be a pest but clarification would be appreciated. The light bulb just hasn't lit for me yet. I tried to bring that picture into my post but was unable.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #138
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The copper tee is the chill in from the hose. There is a smaller 3/8" copper line inside the copper tee that runs the wort to the wort out in this system. Trust me, if you saw a CFC in person, you would understand. Look at the one AHS sells here, http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10458

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #139
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

wgbanks - here's an excellent counterflow chiller how-to.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #140
wgbanks
Brew Junkie
Recipes 

The light bulb finally came on. The wort line runs inside the CFC line. Man I don't know why I didn't see that. Im gonna start collecting parts today. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply