Old 10-18-2009, 03:50 AM   #91
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anybody happen to catch a copy of the November BYO yet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 04:17 AM   #92
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I heard there were no more copies to be found in CO. Any idea why?

Just taking a SWAG - you're in it. Congratulations!

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #93
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's not true! I left AT LEAST one copy behind at The Brew Hut.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #94
AScott
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Here's my version

This is pretty much a direct clone of jkarp's system with the exception of the chiller. I'm going no chill for now until I get a chance to get a chiller in the bucket. I was just too anxious to get through that first brew. I really want to publicly thank him for all of his help. Because of him, I became a paying member of the site.

Did my first brew today. Burnt out my element (stupid mistake on my part), so I had to finish on the stove. We'll see how it turns out in a few weeks, I guess.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #95
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Very cool! Except for the cooked element of course. I've come close to plugging in an empty kettle a couple times with the switch on. Now I don't plug ANYTHING in until I've got water in the kettle.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #96
AScott
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Very cool! Except for the cooked element of course. I've come close to plugging in an empty kettle a couple times with the switch on. Now I don't plug ANYTHING in until I've got water in the kettle.
I just wasn't paying close enough attention when heating the MLT and let the water get too low in the kettle. Unfortunately, I didn't realize my mistake until the mash was under way and the kettle was not heating the rest of my water. At that point I figured there's no turning back without wasting all the grain, so I trudged ahead.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #97
BoilerInSoCal
Recipes 

This set up looks perfect for me. (1) I've been thinking about going electric for a while now, but don't have a 240-v set up; (2) I've been thinking about cutting the size of my batches to allow for more variety and a smaller belly (and No. 2 is on the way, so the wife isn't drinking her share!); (3) being able to brew out of reach of No. 1 would be nice (or easily transport the system to a friend's place); and (4) being able to store all of the components in a small closet is great.

I'm curious, has anyone tried the plate chiller in lieu of the CFC? I saw some older posts suggesting it, but have not seen any results posted.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #98
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerInSoCal View Post
This set up looks perfect for me. (1) I've been thinking about going electric for a while now, but don't have a 240-v set up; (2) I've been thinking about cutting the size of my batches to allow for more variety and a smaller belly (and No. 2 is on the way, so the wife isn't drinking her share!); (3) being able to brew out of reach of No. 1 would be nice (or easily transport the system to a friend's place); and (4) being able to store all of the components in a small closet is great.

I'm curious, has anyone tried the plate chiller in lieu of the CFC? I saw some older posts suggesting it, but have not seen any results posted.
I did it with a shirron, works great, but you have to use a kettle screen in the brew pot. Backflushing is very easy. And don't think you have to limit yourself if you don't have 240, I use two 120V 2000W elements in my 8 gal BK, also works great. I have a 10 gal MLT.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #99
-Dan-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post

Pump / CFC inside:
Interesting project. That raises a question regarding cleaning... Do you take everything apart once you are done cleaning? I'm wondering if mold builds up inside the silicone tubing if you leave everything connected after cleaning.

Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:39 AM   #100
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dan- View Post
Interesting project. That raises a question regarding cleaning... Do you take everything apart once you are done cleaning? I'm wondering if mold builds up inside the silicone tubing if you leave everything connected after cleaning.
Somewhere back in this thread I walked through a brew day. Once the beer's safely tucked away in the fermenter, I rinse the kettle, fill it with hot water and some Oxyclean and then cycle it through the pump and chiller for a few minutes. Oxyclean is a superb brewery cleaner. After the oxy cycle, I rinse out the kettle, fill again with hot water and pump it through the pump / CFC (dumping to the sink) to rinse it out. A dozen or so rotations of the bucket over the sink rolls out any remaining water from the coils and its ready to put up. Never seen a hint of mold anywhere - even with a month between brews.

Looking ahead, I figure I'll disassemble the silicone inside the bucket annually just to check for corrosion and give those connections a thorough cleaning.

Quick Reply