Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Wort Chiller Build (and use)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
Beer_Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks.

I updated it again. (Do a Ctrl-F5 to update your proxy server.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tiber: looks good. you gave me an idear that they aren't as scary as i thought they were. do i spy marble?

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #23
sm007thie
Recipes 

Awesome tutorial!

I'm going to build one in the next couple of days and test it out on an AG Blind Pig. The only alterations I'll be making are using 25 ft of Cu tubing (I live in CA where my tap water is about 74 F, I'll be using a prechiller in an ice bucket) and for the temperature probe area, I'm going to throw in a 3/8" tee with a 1/2-3/8" reducer going up and a small piece of 3/8" tubing going down. I'm going to jam the stopper/thermometer directly into the 1/2-3/8" reducer.

Wish me luck and thanks again!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #24
sm007thie
Recipes 

Quick question what is your routine for keeping it clean after use and sanitizing prior to use? It seems to me that cold break proteins could potentially get stuck inside.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #25
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm007thie View Post
Quick question what is your routine for keeping it clean after use and sanitizing prior to use? It seems to me that cold break proteins could potentially get stuck inside.
I'm interested in knowing this too.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #26
sm007thie
Recipes 

Just finished it. I had trouble pushing the 3/8" tubing backwards through the 1/2-3/8" reducer. There was a little ledge on the inside of the reduced. I just put a drill bit through it to knock off the ledge. One of my joints has a little pinhole leak that I need to fill. Other than that, fabrication went down without a hitch.

I also converted my immersion chiller into a pre-chiller by putting hose adapters on it. I'm really looking foward to using my new rig tomorrow.

Last edited by sm007thie; 06-19-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #27
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just made this too. All I need to do is make a hop stopper for my brew pot, and I will be putting it all to use. Let me know how it goes.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Awesome tutorial!

I'm going to build one in the next couple of days and test it out on an AG Blind Pig. The only alterations I'll be making are using 25 ft of Cu tubing (I live in CA where my tap water is about 74 F, I'll be using a prechiller in an ice bucket) and for the temperature probe area, I'm going to throw in a 3/8" tee with a 1/2-3/8" reducer going up and a small piece of 3/8" tubing going down. I'm going to jam the stopper/thermometer directly into the 1/2-3/8" reducer.

Wish me luck and thanks again!
Hopefully, luck will have nothing to do with it, my friend.

With enough beer and patience, a good HB DIY project has to be a success!
1. Ger Pils 2. Ger Pils 3. Ger Pils 4. Ger Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Chocolate Milk Stout, Oktoberfest (lagering), Pale Ale x2

Old 06-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #29
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
I'm interested in knowing this too.
Beforehand, I just take the Iodophor left over from sanitizing my carboys, pour it into a 5 gal bucket, then siphon it through the chiller into another bucket. Keep that sanitizer handy throughout the brewing process. I then put the caps (soaked in sani) on to each end and set aside until post boil. Uncap, attach sanitized hose, run the first cup or two of hot wort through the chiller (to chase any left over sani out of it), then turn the water on and fill up my carboys.

When I'm done using it, I hook it up to my sink with some adapters I made from random stuff from the hardware store. I put it on full blast at the hottest temp I can for about 5 - 10 minutes. That chases any organics and residue out quite well. I then rotate it fully to get any excess water out (so it doesn't grow nasties). Cap it, store it for next time, repeat. Always performs, never ever had a problem. I simply love this thing, and it was so easy and cheap to build. One of the best DIY's I've done.

Cheers!
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:
Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Chocolate Milk Stout, Oktoberfest (lagering), Pale Ale x2

Old 06-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #30
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Quote:
Just finished it. I had trouble pushing the 3/8" tubing backwards through the 1/2-3/8" reducer. There was a little ledge on the inside of the reduced. I just put a drill bit through it to knock off the ledge. One of my joints has a little pinhole leak that I need to fill. Other than that, fabrication went down without a hitch.[/URL]

I also converted my immersion chiller into a pre-chiller by putting hose adapters on it. I'm really looking foward to using my new rig tomorrow.
Looks great! Nice job with that. I see you kept your coil tight with zip ties as well. I forgot to mention that in my write up, but my pictures show them there. Maybe I should edit that to include them.

I also had the same problem with the reducers, but a round file took care of that.

Also, if you have a leak, I might heat up your solder, pull apart, re-clean and reapply flux and try again. It would be more trustworthy than a solder patch.

Let us know how it works once you break it in!
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged & conditioning:

Quick Reply