Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #401
nate456789
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycollier View Post
Does anyone know if there is a good reason to not use reclaimed copper refrigerant line from my old AC unit? We got our HVAC system replaced and the copper from the previous AC is just hanging there unused. Should I be concerned about running precious wort through something that once contain freon?
Because it has had freon in it.
I would be pissed if someone served me beer made with contaminated equipment.
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #402
rycollier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Supposedly freon goes away completely. Just for the record, this was not anything I was considering seriously. It's always better to get the scrap money.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #403
herc1354
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

I'm not sure about home HVAC but in automotive AC systems oil is mixed with the refrigerant gas to liberate the compressor, it would be impossible to determine if ALL the oil had been flushed from the lines.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #404
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Supposedly freon goes away completely. Just for the record, this was not anything I was considering seriously. It's always better to get the scrap money.
I'm not trying to smart A$$ but I wouldn't risk any chance introducing bad chemicals in my beer. I would feel bad if someone got sick from drinking it.

Maybe the lubricating oils in the freon can be washed out. Maybe not.
I would scrap it and get some fresh copper.
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #405
rycollier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm glad this discussion was had on this forum. I read on a distilling forum where a few individuals said yeah go for it.(not to me, just on the thread) I think what started my thought process is someone mentioned using scrap copper they found. Is it really possible to clean the inside of a copper pipe that well? Prob not.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #406
herc1354
Recipes 

Copper is Not that expensive to risk messing up a log brew day and or potentially getting someone sick.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #407
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
I'm glad this discussion was had on this forum. I read on a distilling forum where a few individuals said yeah go for it.(not to me, just on the thread) I think what started my thought process is someone mentioned using scrap copper they found. Is it really possible to clean the inside of a copper pipe that well? Prob not.

If i was looking at saving thousands of dollars, then MAYBE i'd put some weight behind possibly cleaning it.

But your saving $30. Just get 1 less coffee a day and your there in a week.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #408
herc1354
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze
If i was looking at saving thousands of dollars, then MAYBE i'd put some weight behind possibly cleaning it. But your saving $30. Just get 1 less coffee a day and your there in a week.
One less coffee....mmmmmm NOW those are fighting words.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #409
Eugenio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Here is my setup! just came off of its trial run, and it works BEAUTIFULLY! so fast, and now to pitch. Sorry for the bad pic, I can link a new and better one iof someone wants.

File Type: pdf photo.pdf (255.0 KB, 231 views)

Old 03-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #410
Resipsa
Recipes 

Default Bobby_M + Beer Canuck + another stage =

Loved Bobby_M's idea and Beer Canuck's "whole works in a bucket" approach. It's 70ish and sunny today which is a lovely day for DIY, but is also a harbinger of impending summer and the mid 70s groundwater temps it brings here in the south. I was worried about reusing the copper from my first homemade immersion wort chiller (already had some kinks started and figured more bending wouldn't do any good on that front). But, it was still plenty fine for a pre-chiller for that dang-near-already-steaming water we get coming out of the tap. Since I planned to put the whole works in a bucket a-la Beer Canuck, why not have that bucket full of ice water and pre chiller? No good reason I could think of.

So, tap water goes into the bottom of the bare coil (red hose) and exits the top of the coil into the counterflow chiller. I'm sure there's a more elegant and/or effective way to do this, but ran the wort out tube through a hole in the bucket and scooged the thing shut with silicone. A hand tubing bender was essential (about $16 at lowes) to make a couple of tight bends to line everything up without kinking. Yes, there's pretty nearly a kink near the top of the pre-chiller. Don't judge me.

Haven't tested with ice water, but 200deg wort in (water for test) comes out 65 with 59deg tap water and valve on the kettle about 2/3 open. Hooked the output to a lawn sprinkler. I've named it Ghostface Chillah...

I'm thinking of adding a thrumometer to the output along with some sort of venturi apparatus. By thrumometer, I mean a cheap stick on fermometer stuck to something suitable.

ccc1.jpg   ccc2.jpg  

Quick Reply