Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #371
tdogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Shelterpupsbrew: you have a couple of neat ideas worked in there. I may have to copy the water valve.

Does the wort bypass make a big difference?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #372
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Nicely done.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #373
ShelterPupsBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg
Shelterpupsbrew: you have a couple of neat ideas worked in there. I may have to copy the water valve.

Does the wort bypass make a big difference?
The bypass works pretty good. The CFC knocks the temperature of the wort down amazingly fast, and sort of starts the whirlpool. Once I open the bypass, the whirlpool really gets going. I would estimate that the flow rate doubles once the bypass is opened. The fittings that I used are a little on the small side, someday I might reworks the chiller to put in a larger bypass.

The water valve works well. I recently integrated the chiller into a brew stand and moved the valve to a remote location that is easier to access.

Beer has Food value, but Food has no Beer value.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #374
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I made one tonight. I have a ball valve for the water in ready to go once I mount it to my rig and know my orientation of the coil. I made mine using the full 50ft of copper and hose. Probably overkill but why not if the material is there.
Hopefully I get a chance to run it this weekend.
Thanks for the info bobby. Saved me some time putting the parts together.

image-3137935205.jpg  
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #375
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Bigger is not better in this case. I ended up cutting the 50 ft version down to 25 ft. The flow was just too slow. The 25 ft version cools from 197 input to 62 deg output.
A little better than my 30 plate chiller.

ianw58 Likes This 
Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #376
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ok after scanning through most of this thread i have one question. when using a CFC with a pump why are people complaining about being able to cool the entire batch while whirl pooling? is it the flow rate does not allow for an adequate whirlpool? or is it the recirculation through the CFC back into the boil kettle impedes the cooling process?

who out there uses a CFC and whirlpools with a pump? can i get an honest opinion of how this works in this set up? i can always whirlpool after i chill if flow rate is the issue.

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Haüs Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #377
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate456789 View Post
Bigger is not better in this case. I ended up cutting the 50 ft version down to 25 ft. The flow was just too slow. The 25 ft version cools from 197 input to 62 deg output.
A little better than my 30 plate chiller.
hmmm i made a ~60' version of this. I haven't tried it yet. You found that reducing the length speed up the flow? I guess I didn't expect that because it was still being reduced to 3/8.

BTW if people are thinking of building this i would recommend lubricating the copper with k-y lube. I tried the water and soap thing but it didn't work out so hot.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #378
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks

hmmm i made a ~60' version of this. I haven't tried it yet. You found that reducing the length speed up the flow? I guess I didn't expect that because it was still being reduced to 3/8.

BTW if people are thinking of building this i would recommend lubricating the copper with k-y lube. I tried the water and soap thing but it didn't work out so hot.
I found that the flow was down to a trickle. This was just testing with water. Even at 25 ft it seems to be about a third of the normal flow rate. Which is fine because I am cooling. Still only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to cool 5 gallons down to 70 deg recirculating.
It is 3/8 OD. I am not sure what the actual inner ID is. I am sure the flow would be better if you had 3/8 ID.
If I make another I think I would try 1/2 copper and a 3/4 hose. Maybe someone can chime in on their flow rates at this size.

I used the soapy water and it was very easy. I have a 60 ft shop so I was able roll everything out straight and flat. Slid right in with no binding.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #379
ShelterPupsBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickrjason
Ok after scanning through most of this thread i have one question. when using a CFC with a pump why are people complaining about being able to cool the entire batch while whirl pooling? is it the flow rate does not allow for an adequate whirlpool? or is it the recirculation through the CFC back into the boil kettle impedes the cooling process?

who out there uses a CFC and whirlpools with a pump? can i get an honest opinion of how this works in this set up? i can always whirlpool after i chill if flow rate is the issue.
I cool using the CFC and a pump while recirculating back to the boil kettle. I abide by the rule that it is better to get the entire volume down in temp quickly, and this CFC does it in minutes. Then I whirlpool for a few minutes and then transfer to the fermenter. The CFC reduces the flow rate too much to get a good whirlpool, so I installed a bypass that gets opened up once the wort is cooled.

image-4197119361.jpg

The picture does not show the pinch clamp that is used to close the bypass, but you can get the idea. You could just disconnect the CFC and run the pump out hose back to the boil kettle for the whirlpool, I just didn't want to have to move any hoses around. Hope this helps.

Beer has Food value, but Food has no Beer value.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #380
bmickey
Recipes 

My process is that immediately after the boil I stir hard for about 30 seconds to whirlpool, let it settle for about 8 minutes and then let it drain through my CFC into the fermentation bucket or carboy.....no pump used. Drains out in about 25 minutes max. Is it quicker to recirculate wort with pump to cool it down and then drain or pump into carboy? I just figured with my process it was simple and I was using one less piece of equipment (pump) to touch my cooled wort.

Quick Reply