Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #321
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Don't forget to drill the stops out of the reducers. I only left enough tubing sticking out to clamps tubing on or whatever.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #322
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I haven't tried to fit it over the 3/8" copper, but I didn't see a stop inside it its possible the ones I bought didn't have them. I still haven't finished it.

is 20' of copper enough or should I try and get a 25' roll?

-=Jason=-

Old 11-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #323
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think the difference between 20 and 25 is negligible for this purpose.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #324
Flomaster
Recipes 

Cool I'll just hack into my hose and put this beast together. now if only I had a cornie to wrap around. oh wait im picking 10 up tomorrow for $10 a pop.

-=Jason=-

Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #325
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Another great one Bobby.

Did I see that the wort in is actually below the wort out when in use? This wouldn't seem to work when gravity fed. Did you illustrate this for using a pump Bobby?

I was going to but a ball valve on the wort out end to prevent the "tube not full of wort" problem. Thinking to open the kettle valve and control the flow with the valve on the chiller. And have the wort "in" HIGHER than wort "out" as I gravity feed.

Am I thinking correctly or completely backwards?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #326
Flomaster
Recipes 

well I constructed my CFC last night and let me tell you it was a PITA....

I read a reply in the thread about having both coiled up and just twisting them into each other.

step one wrap hose around corny

step 2 wrap copper around corny to get same coil size.

well it started off easy, I had soapy water inside my hose but a few coils into to mix it became very hard to get the copper inside the hose.

I ended up removing the hose and copper from my corny to give me more wiggle room. well roughly 35-45 minutes later I had copper out both ends. *sorry no photos* well next thing was trying to get my pre-built end pieces over the 3/8". I should have drilled out a wee bit larger hole because it was a PITA to try and put it together.

advise for anyone who is going to build this and hasn't yet.
DO NOT SOLDER YOUR 1/2X1/4 REDUCER UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR 3/8" COPPER INSIDE OF YOUR RUBBER HOSE.

had I not had my reducer already soldered it would have been very easy to assemble.

sorry no photos of finished product.

but here's where I am at.

I have a keggle with 1/2" ball valve and barb fitting on it. *no pick up tube installed yet* I haven't decided on what direction to go with it. should I just get a piece of 3/8" ID tubing to connect my keggle to my CFC and use hose clamps OR is there a preferred method.

mind you I don't have QD's or tubing at all so im really open for suggestions on how to proceed. would the 1/2" ss QD and silicone tubing be the prefered method of attaching every thing?

I will be getting a pump, but not sure if I'll have one in time for my first brew.

-=Jason=-

Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #327
bwiens
Recipes 

Built mine last night, went smoothly as expected. I added some extras so that I can use camlocks on both the wort in/out and the water in/out. This is a picture from my phone and I will take some close ups of the fittings soon.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #328
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
well I constructed my CFC last night and let me tell you it was a PITA....

I read a reply in the thread about having both coiled up and just twisting them into each other.

step one wrap hose around corny

step 2 wrap copper around corny to get same coil size.

well it started off easy, I had soapy water inside my hose but a few coils into to mix it became very hard to get the copper inside the hose.

I ended up removing the hose and copper from my corny to give me more wiggle room. well roughly 35-45 minutes later I had copper out both ends. *sorry no photos* well next thing was trying to get my pre-built end pieces over the 3/8". I should have drilled out a wee bit larger hole because it was a PITA to try and put it together.

advise for anyone who is going to build this and hasn't yet.
DO NOT SOLDER YOUR 1/2X1/4 REDUCER UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR 3/8" COPPER INSIDE OF YOUR RUBBER HOSE.

had I not had my reducer already soldered it would have been very easy to assemble.

sorry no photos of finished product.

but here's where I am at.

I have a keggle with 1/2" ball valve and barb fitting on it. *no pick up tube installed yet* I haven't decided on what direction to go with it. should I just get a piece of 3/8" ID tubing to connect my keggle to my CFC and use hose clamps OR is there a preferred method.

mind you I don't have QD's or tubing at all so im really open for suggestions on how to proceed. would the 1/2" ss QD and silicone tubing be the prefered method of attaching every thing?

I will be getting a pump, but not sure if I'll have one in time for my first brew.

-=Jason=-
Interesting idea to coil them both first. I straightened my IC and then inserted into the hose. Was pretty easy, really. I used water based lubricant and it went in pretty easily.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #329
Flomaster
Recipes 

yeah if i had to do it again I'd straighten out the copper coil.

-=Jason=-

Old 12-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #330
orangehero
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 178

What was the problem with soldering the reducer?

Quick Reply