Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yes, I did in fact mean 1/2" to 1/4". 3/8" OD soft copper is actually 1/4" ID and that's how the fittings are sized. A 1/2" to 1/4" reducing coupling actually accepts 5/8"OD pipe and 3/8" OD tubing. Lowes def has them and so does Mcmaster:

5520K29
Solder-Joint Copper Tube Fitting for Drinking Reducing Cplg W/Ctr Stop 1/2" Sckt X 1/4" Sckt
In stock at $0.60 Each

I forgot to mention that you need to drill out the center stop so that the inside tube can go all the way through the fitting.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 02-05-2008 at 02:58 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 AM   #22
scottfro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

thanks for the confirmation....i'll have to keep searching. i'm in canada so my choices are more limited when it comes to corporate mega hardware stores hah

Secondary:

Bottled:
#30 Chocolate Porter
#27 Smoked Ale
#26 Hard Apple Cider (Champagne Yeast)
#25 Big Als' Blackberry Brew 2008
#15 Hard Apple Cyser

Kegged:
#31 Field Hand Hefeweizen

http://www.deterrabrewing.com/forum <-- Vancouver Homebrewing Network

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 AM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

You can try a dedicated plumbing supply. They have everything. If all else fails, I agree the next best thing is a drilled out end cap. Just make sure it's a very snug fit because solder doesn't like filling large gaps.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
mattm3
Recipes 

I found the fittings at Ace Hardware. I plan on building one soon. I got all the copper, I just have to find a cheap hose.

Matt
http://www.queencityhomebrew.org/

Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #25
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinison_fan
Nice tutorial Bobby, and great timing- I've got all the stuff sitting on my workbench to put mine together tommorow. I bought my 50' copper tubing (3/8) from coppertubingsales.com (it was $44-47 delivered).
The other thing is I bought a cheap vinyl hose, but may hold off and get a rubber hose instead.

Another thought for those that don't have the torch-borrow one from a neighbor, or get the neighbor to soldier it up for you in exchange for a few homebrews.
I built a CFC about 6 years ago using the same copper fittings Bobby illustrated so well in his design. I also used cheap vinyl hose on mine, and its still going strong today.

The only change I made in my CFC is that I sweated a male and female garden hose fitting directly to the copper Tee on each end instead of the hose extention.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #26
Plan9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just finished mine. I'll post pics once my main PC is up and running again.

I had 20 feet of 3/8 copper left over from replacing my AC line set this past summer. It was a little too big to fit into my reducers, so I had to grind it down a little bit. This was my first time soldering copper, and I only had one leak. Not too bad for an electrician

I'm still building my set up, so I haven't got to test it's cooling yet.

Central Florida Home Brewers

http://twitter.com/PlanNine

Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #27
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Good idea sweating the garden hose fittings on. If I stick with this CFC, I'll be doing that.

New Stuff?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #28
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Great Job with this. I'm in the "acquisition" phase right now... I'll be building soon!

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 02-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #29
Chris K
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejaz
Nicely done, didn't know about using rubber hose, good point and the lubricant for snaking cooper tubing. But what about the cost of the fittings. And if you don't have solder and flux and propane for the torch. Everything adds up. Brewers has 25 foot CFC for $70. Unless you get a deal on the copper tubing, it doesn't pay to DIY, especially if it doesn't go exactly right the first time (which for me it doesn't). But it's good to know how to do it.
Can someone tell me where I can find this 25foot counterflow chiller for only $70? In my searches I cant sniff one for anything close to that amount!

Oh, and Bobby_M, thank you for your inspiration. If I cannot find this mystery $70 chiller I am going to build one myself per your tutorial. +1

Old 02-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #30
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I think this is the one he's talking about about without a picture, I have no idea what to expect:

http://www.brewapp.com/cgi-bin/shopp...on&key=E000031

If it's anything like mine, I'd say it's worth the money. $42 my cost plus at least 2 hours labor. I'd call it a favor to sell this for $70.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply