The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #261
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnc View Post
MajorWoody, how do you start your siphon and what do you use to siphon from the kettle?
I second this.

What do you put between the kettle and the chiller? Is there some type of hose I can get at homedepot that can take the 210 degree wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #262
flyfishnc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
I second this.

What do you put between the kettle and the chiller? Is there some type of hose I can get at homedepot that can take the 210 degree wort?
i can tell you what doesn't work. that's the regular vinyl tubing or using an auto siphon to start it.

i ended up with some of that reinforced tubing from lowes. i want to say it was 5/8" tubing (at .60/ft.). it held up pretty well for me on my last batch.

now if i can just find a way to start the siphon next time.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #263
Auspice
Recipes 

Just picked up everything I needed from HD(sans the reducers). I also just built a MLT following FlyGuy's DIY post and was hoping to pour the boiling wort into the MLT and letting it gravity feed to the CFC then into my fermentation bucket.

I picked up some clear vinyl tubing that I was hoping will work but from what I've been reading now it does not appear that it will. Can someone recommend hoses/tubing from HD/Lowe's/TrueValue that I can use that will withstand the temperature of the boiling wort?

Thanks!

Secondary 1: N/A
Secondary 2: N/A
Recently finished: Kolsch Batch #2, American Wheat, Kolsch, Rye Beer

Old 07-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #264
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I wouldn't recommend pouring boiling wort in the first place but also you'll end up warping the liner of the cooler too. Counterflows really want to be fed from a bulkhead in the boil kettle or you can also make a racking can out of stainless or copper. Lowes has a vinyl tubing with braided cloth inside which will do better than plain clear vinyl. The best material is thermoplastic or silicone but not to be had at HD or Lowes.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #265
Auspice
Recipes 

Hmmm, that being the case; how should I transfer the wort to the CFC? Right now I'm just using a plain ole brew kettle on my stovetop.

I'll snag some of the braided vinyl tomorrow when I hunt for the reducers. Will vinyl impart any off flavors? I seem to recall reading that in a couple of places here. Since I'm also building the MLT, can I use the same braided vinyl to insert into the SS braided hose?

Old 07-04-2009, 02:05 AM   #266
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

flyguy is no longer suggesting inserting vinyl tubing inside the braid as far as I know. You really don't need anything in there.

You can use a copper racking cane connected to the CFC to siphon out of the kettle. Fill your CFC with sanitizer, hook it up to the racking cane and let the sanitizer run into a bucket. When you see wort coming out, switch to your fermenter.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #267
Auspice
Recipes 

Hmm, if I'm not putting a tube inside the braid how am I going to seal up the other end since the clamps suggested were rusting?

As for the copper racking cane; how would I connect it to the CFC? Sorry, I'm really new to all grain stuff.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #268
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Some people just fold the free end of the braid twice and smash it with a hammer. I like shoving a 1/4" brass pipe plug in there and putting a hose clamp on it.

You can attach the copper racking cane to the chiller with a length of reinforced vinyl tubing from Lowes. Silicone would be better, but you can only find it at specialty shops.

New Stuff?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #269
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Sears has a 50ft All rubber hose on sale for $19.99 this week.

Craftsman 5/8 in. x 50 ft. All Rubber Garden Hose

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 08-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #270
bmickey
Recipes 

Hello Bobby and members!

Do most people connect this directly to the pot? I'm thinking of buying a 10 gallon polarware with spigot or a 10 gallon Blichmann with spigot. Anybody got any pictures of what there setup with this CFC looks like in action? Are quick disconnects a good idea, it seems like it would be very convenient. Also do you just let the end of it run into the primary fermenter or do you attach something on that end of the CFC too?

I have mine nearly complete as soon as I find the 1/2" to 1/4" reducers.

Quick Reply