The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #241
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Man oh man, I have got to search the forum more efficiently. This would have saved me a few bucks. Great job Bobby M!

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #242
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2746 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I must live on top of a glacier. I used gravity and by the time the wort flows through the cfc and into the fermetner it's easily down to 65. i could go lower easily but this is with my ball valve all the way open.

One thing to mention about gravity. If you do not have the level and orientation on your hoses right it will not flow! PIMA saturday. Thought it was stuck, but once I got it repositioned she started flowing. I made sure to take a picture so i could duplicate it next brew day. (No Stand)

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 04-15-2009, 03:45 AM   #243
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

O.K., I've read this thread and I have a pretty good grip on how to construct it. So far, I've built my system out of stainless in order to make cleaning in place easier. Now, I'm wondering if there is any reason to build my cfc with stainless instead of copper. The only reason I could see for doing so is if I hard pipe it in place. Right now, that doesn't seem like something I'm going to do, but who knows. I guess I could always build it and sell it later. Up until now, I've always used a copper IC. I was going to continue to use it since it was easily removed for cleaning. However, I'm starting full time 10 gal. AG and know that the cooling time with an IC will be greatly increased. What do ya'll think - Dwain

Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #244
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2746 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I think you will not regret making a CFC. And no reason to go SS over copper unless you have money falling out of your pockets.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #245
purechaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am going to build one of these CFC

is AC/Refrigerant line ok to use or do i need to use TYPE K or L ?

I would assume since the cfc will not be under pressure the the AC line would be ok, but dont want to overlook something.

thanks

Old 04-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #246
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
Now, I'm wondering if there is any reason to build my cfc with stainless instead of copper.
The thermal conductivity of copper is much better than for stainless steel. There's no downside to using a copper chiller AFAIK.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #247
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

I am considering switching over to an IC. Here's my reasoning: I was listening to a podcast this week and Jamil mentioned that using a CFC will get the wort down to pitching temp faster, but not all of it at once. You will have whatever is in the kettle still at a high temp until it reaches the CFC. An IC will bring the entirety of the boil down at the same time.

And the kicker is that it doesn't have to reach pitching temp to do the job. It only needs to go down to a certain temp, like 140 F or something, to do the most benefit. So if HSA is not a real concern, as it seems, then gently swirling the wort around an IC is not a bad thing.

So an IC takes a few more minutes to bring to pitching temp, but might actually be better for the wort than a CFC just because it bring the whole volume of wort down to safe temp faster??

Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #248
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is why many people recirculate back into the boil kettle until the temperature of the whole batch is under 140F. I've done it both ways, and never noticed a difference. I suppose for lagers, or gently hopped beers you might notice a difference because the hops are in there for longer.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #249
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

There is some truth to the benefit of getting the whole wort under 140f quickly, but I literally run 12 gallons out of the kettle in 5-7 minutes. We're getting a little nit picky with a couple minutes here. Now, for those who gravity drain through CFC's or plates, that could be a downfall.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #250
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
This is why many people recirculate back into the boil kettle until the temperature of the whole batch is under 140F. I've done it both ways, and never noticed a difference. I suppose for lagers, or gently hopped beers you might notice a difference because the hops are in there for longer.

That's the way I do it and I have noticed a difference in the flavor and aroma hop intensity. Provided you can push a sufficient volume of wort through your CFC, the difference between using an IC or CFC is probably quite small. The problem is that many of the CFC's use small diameter soft copper tubing which severely limits the recirculation rate and that puts them at a severe disadvantage, particularly with larger batch sizes. Using gravity alone with one of the small tubing CFC's takes way too long IMO. Using a pump is certainly an improvement, but still not fast enough for me.

Last edited by Catt22; 04-24-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply