Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #211
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Others on this thread have built 20' ones with good results. I think you can even get down to 16' but it really depends on the temp of the cooling water on how short you can really make it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #212
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I finally got around to doing the last steps in building this. Sliding the copper reducer over the copper line was really really difficult. I ended up having to take a drill bit to the reducer to make it work. But I have tested it and everything works well, no leaks.

I did not put a second reducer/fittings at the top though. I just let the water come out of the hose however it wants to and the copper line extends about 12" past the end of the hose. Any problems with this style of setup?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #213
mrburnsbud
Recipes 

The rate of cooling does depend on length (surface area). but it's also a function of the mass flow rate (lb/s) of both the wort and the cooling water.

Mass flow rate = density x avg. velocity x cross-sectional area of tube/annulus

Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #214
zombeer
Recipes 

Default Quick disconnects

Wow, I read through all 23 pages of this thread. There's some great stuff here. I was looking for some ideas on installing quick disconnets to the wort side of my CFC (recently built using this very tutorial). Just wondering what's worked well for others before I go and start ordering parts.

Thanks

Scott.

John Hancock

Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #215
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombeer View Post
Wow, I read through all 23 pages of this thread. There's some great stuff here. I was looking for some ideas on installing quick disconnets to the wort side of my CFC (recently built using this very tutorial). Just wondering what's worked well for others before I go and start ordering parts.

Thanks

Scott.
I use a male QD on the wort inflow and a 1/2" barb on the output. The hose on the output stays on at all times, which is the only reason there is not a QD on it. I really like the QD, especially since all the rest of my equipment has them. Much better especially when using a pump.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #216
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm building one of these very soon. Thanks Bobby for your imagination and ingenuity. You helped me convert my kegs, and now you are helping me with a CFC. Two questions for everyone though...

1. I'm not quite sure how quick disconnects attach to the set-up. Both to the spigots and to the chiller. They sound almost like a necessity if wanting to be economical in the brew day. I don't know where to get them, don't know what they look like, and don't know how to set them up. Anyone got pics of how they are connected and part numbers for some brass or SS versions? Plastic sounds too easy to contamination to me.

2. More for Bobby but if anyone has any ideas...why do you think the coils of a chiller has to be lower than the inputs and outputs of the wort and coolant? Is it a pressure thing? Or is it a syphon/contact thing with both the wort and coolant? I don't want to have to wait 10 hours for my first 10 gallon batch to cool to room temp.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #217
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can attach male QDs to your boil kettle and then clamp a high temp hose to your chiller with female QD (that has a hose barb on it). That way you only need one set of QDs.

The part numbers from mcmaster.com are on my website Equipment

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #218
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks mano! Appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #219
bzomerlei
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I built a 25 foot cfc based on this thread, but used the compression fittings since I had little soldering experience at the time. I put quick connect fittings on the coolant side of this as well as a small ball valve to control the water from the faucet. My tap water is running about 50 degrees, so I really need to throttle back the water to get the output into the carboy around 65 degrees.

I am using gravity, so the flow is pretty slow, and dialing the temp takes some time since changes of the flow of coolant take about 20 seconds to register on the thermometer.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #220
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzomerlei View Post
...My tap water is running about 50 degrees, so I really need to throttle back the water to get the output into the carboy around 65 degrees.

I am using gravity, so the flow is pretty slow, and dialing the temp takes some time since changes of the flow of coolant take about 20 seconds to register on the thermometer.
bz, that set-up is sweet. You got a close up of the connection with that thermometer?

Quick Reply