Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #141
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

There's a catch to plate chiller though. They can potentially get fouled if hops and trub aren't filtered out. You can add a hopstopper but that's $70 right there. CFC's are much more tolerant of that kind of thing.

Also, while it's debatable how much surface area is enough, the $50 10 plate has a total hot/cold surface area of 200 square inches. The 3/8" OD x 25' copper tube offers 353sqin. In other words, you'd need the $64 15-plate version to come close and you'd still need garden hose and hose barb fittings. Of course, with the plate chiller, you have no DIY work to do.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #142
brewjunky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
There's a catch to plate chiller though. They can potentially get fouled if hops and trub aren't filtered out. You can add a hopstopper but that's $70 right there. CFC's are much more tolerant of that kind of thing.

Also, while it's debatable how much surface area is enough, the $50 10 plate has a total hot/cold surface area of 200 square inches. The 3/8" OD x 25' copper tube offers 353sqin. In other words, you'd need the $64 15-plate version to come close and you'd still need garden hose and hose barb fittings. Of course, with the plate chiller, you have no DIY work to do.
I ordered the 15 plate and paid 59 dollars. By using a stainless braid in your Boil kettle or even a copper scrubby you would not get any trub in your chiller.

I have actually done something similar to the byo article and positioned my tube towards the side of the kettle so if you whirlpool you'll be fine.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #143
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Default PSA to CFC users

I encountered a strange shift in chilling efficiency with this CFC design about 6 months ago and it frustrated the heck out of me. For a while, I was able to chill wort to one degree F higher than the coolant water temp. All of a sudden, that number went to 8-10F so for the most part, the chiller was FAILING. I finally figured it out.

Before I built my brewstand, I was putting the chiller on the floor and pumping the wort though. At the output, a tube had to go up and over the fermenter. This caused the entire coil to fill solid with wort.

The failure started after I built the brewstand where I'd put the CFC up on top of the HLT. I was still pumping but the wort outlet now saw a 3' drop into the fermenter. When I slowed the wort flow down to get more chilling, the outflow siphon would cause the coil to partially empty so I was losing contact area.

The moral of the story is to make sure both your coolant outflow and wort outflow has to go higher than the chiller itself, even if only a couple inches so that the tubes stay full. I was able to get the output wort just about the same temp as the coolant.

...or get a plate chiller.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #144
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just scored a 50' roll of 3/8'' fridge tubing for $35... That plus the 75' garden hose I got for free and a few bucks in fittings = CFC build this weekend!!!!

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #145
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice grab on the copper! Ebay?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 11-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #146
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
I encountered a strange shift in chilling efficiency with this CFC design about 6 months ago and it frustrated the heck out of me. For a while, I was able to chill wort to one degree F higher than the coolant water temp. All of a sudden, that number went to 8-10F so for the most part, the chiller was FAILING. I finally figured it out.

Before I built my brewstand, I was putting the chiller on the floor and pumping the wort though. At the output, a tube had to go up and over the fermenter. This caused the entire coil to fill solid with wort.

The failure started after I built the brewstand where I'd put the CFC up on top of the HLT. I was still pumping but the wort outlet now saw a 3' drop into the fermenter. When I slowed the wort flow down to get more chilling, the outflow siphon would cause the coil to partially empty so I was losing contact area.

The moral of the story is to make sure both your coolant outflow and wort outflow has to go higher than the chiller itself, even if only a couple inches so that the tubes stay full. I was able to get the output wort just about the same temp as the coolant.

...or get a plate chiller.
Maybe put a ball valve on the output of the Chiller so you don't need to fool around with the tubing.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #147
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
Maybe put a ball valve on the output of the Chiller so you don't need to fool around with the tubing.
I like the idea but I also don't want to pressurize the coolant chamber with city pressure because it's clamped on to smooth copper pipe. I'll blow them off. What I think would work though is restricting the output somehow to provide a limited backpressure. I'm thinking maybe a 4" piece of silicone tubing, plugged on the end with a few slits cut in it. Water won't gush out under water weight and it will open the slits more under city pressure.

I think the ball valve on the wort output is a good idea though.

New Stuff?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #148
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
Quote:
I like the idea but I also don't want to pressurize the coolant chamber with city pressure because it's clamped on to smooth copper pipe. I'll blow them off. What I think would work though is restricting the output somehow to provide a limited backpressure. I'm thinking maybe a 4" piece of silicone tubing, plugged on the end with a few slits cut in it. Water won't gush out under water weight and it will open the slits more under city pressure.

I think the ball valve on the wort output is a good idea though.
Why not put the ball valve on the "coolant in" side of the chiller? That way, you'd be pressurizing the supply hose and not the chiller. The only issue I see might be "spraying" out the valve at low flow rates, but placing the coolant in at the bottom of the coil stack should eliminate any spraying once the coil fills.

I need to build one of these soon so I can switch to 10 gallon batches...

Old 11-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #149
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBrewMaster View Post
Nice grab on the copper! Ebay?
Johnstone Supply (HVAC supply house)... Couldn't believe it... Figured I better grab and go while the deal was hot....

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #150
mrsunshades
Recipes 

Default CFlow Chiller / Post chiller

OK- one small problem I came up with - counter flow chillers are great, but they will only get the wort to within 20 degrees or maybe a little more of the water used to chill. In other words, if using 65 degree water, you're going to get the wort down to about 80 to 85 degrees (not good enough for pitching). In Georgia, the water's going to be in the 70's, and that's going to get you close to 90! Has anyone thoughts on this? I have built a post-chiller, which sends the outflow from my CFWC right into a 15' coil of tubing immersed in ice water. 1st time out I barely had to turn the water flow in my CF chiller, and could get wort to exact temp, right into the carboy for aeration and pitching!

Quick Reply