The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #121
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah sure why not, but I'd probably plumb some quick disconnects in just so I didn't have to grab a wrench to connect/disconnect.

Lookin good by the way.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #122
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Default Addition to the CFC

Using some compression fittings and a Tee I had on hand, I plumbed in an output thermometer. You could easily do this with a cheap Target digital probe thermo with a 1/4" compression fitting and a stack of Orings as a ferrule.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #123
noisy123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Bobby,
Lurker here. I love the tutorials. 2 questions.

Can you post a parts list for the thermometer attachment for those of us (especially me) who are not so handy? I am also thinking of trying to build quick-connect parts into everything I build but can't find much information online about using them. Anything you add on that would be great.

Also, I can find a pretty cheap deal on 60' of type L 1/2" OD tubing. Will that work ok as well?

NVM. I sorted all this out.

Last edited by noisy123; 06-13-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #124
Ben25
Recipes 

I'm working on one right now that uses all brass fittings, with no soldering. It was expensive but I bought everything at HD on my company account so I didn't have to pay for it. I'll be done in a little while and post some pics.

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #125
Ben25
Recipes 

Well, here it is!!! I need to get some better straps to hold it together though, but otherwise it went pretty smoothly.

Heres the parts list:
4: Hose barb adapter 5/8 Barb x 3/4 MIP A-495
2: 3/4 cast female pipe tee A-858
2: Ander-lign Compression X MIP union. 3/8 Comp. x 3/4 MIP w/insert
you also need a 3/8 drill bit to ream out the center of this piece, otherwise the tubing will not go through.

25' 3/8 coper tubing
25' 5/8 rubber hose

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 06-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #126
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I can appreciate the simplicity of the no-solder system for sure. The tradeoff is a slight bit more cost. Looks good.

Adding an output thermometer is as easy as using a 3/8" compression Tee. One end goes on the output tube and the center tap is the new output. A short piece of 3/8" copper on here makes a new place to clamp a hose on. The other end of the Tee is where you'd take your thermo probe and use a short piece of 3/16" ID tubing to build up the probe's diameter to make a seal. I'm referring to the instant read digitals that you can get at Target, etc.

New Stuff?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #127
Ben25
Recipes 

I don't really need a thermometer yet, but yes it would be easy to install. I used it on Sunday, and man did it work well. The wort went in at about 205ish and came out at about 68.

Primary #1:
Primary #2:

Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #128
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made my own CFC today using the design in the original post. I started with a 60ft el-cheapo hose and 50 ft of copper. I only used a 30 ft piece of copper because I realized that more would not only be unnecessary and maybe tougher to clean, but a huge pain to force 50ft of copper into a hose. My results? 2.5 gallons of boiling water cooled to 68 F in 8 minutes. WOW. My tap water flows at 67 and we were able to cut the flow waaay back and get 68* "wort" (water in this case) coming out. I'm going to put a perforated tube on the output of this for a venturi aerator, and once I start doing 5 gallon boils I'll be cooled, aerated, and transfered 15 minutes after flameout. Here is the complete and accurate price breakdown for anyone interested:

60' vinyl garden hose......9.96
(4) hose clamps.............3.80
(2) copper tee...............1.50
flux and solder...............8.97
(6) 2" x 1/2" copper........3.93
(2) 1/2" to 1/4" reducer...2.16
50' copper tube............59.90
TOTAL........................90.22

A 25' peice of copper would have saved money (~$25) and I wish I would have just done that but I was worried about the fact that I'm a)probably going to be in an apartment for a while and might be using sink faucet with less flow and b)I'm moving to florida which probably has hotter tap water. If I had known this was going to work so well I would have just gone with 25'. Oh well, I have 20' of leftover copper for whatever I can find a use for it.

I may have spent a little extra for the insurance but I'm a pretty happy camper. It worked out well, and I got to make it the way I wanted it. I even have ten feet of hose for the water in and water out line, so it can be hooked up directly to the faucet and drained to wherever is convenient without additional hose.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Last edited by Coastarine; 06-23-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #129
mandoman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default could I use my old immersion chiller?

I'm ready to move up to a cfc (esp. since brewing a lot this summer -sheesh!) and to make it cost effective want to use my NB immersion chiller. Any thoughts as to why this wouldn't work? It's 3/8 OD.

Thanks for your comments!!! and the DIY, bobby

cb

Old 08-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #130
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

The only caution I have is that soft copper starts getting stiffer and brittle (like all metals) the more it is flexed. You'll have to uncoil it to get it inside the hose, then recoil it. It should go OK, but be careful.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply