Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Counter Pressure Bottle Filler.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
TwoWheeler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Counter Pressure Bottle Filler.

I'm looking for a way to fill bottles from my kegs and the Blichmann Beer Gun looks like the ticket.

However, being cheap, and somewhat clever, I'd like to try and make my own. (Besides, being a toolmaker, with lots of material and equipment at my disposal, I think I can build a COOLER one ).

For the life of me, though, I can't figure out how it works.

EDIT: Oh sure, now that I post this, I see the "related threads" below....y'know, the ones that didn't show up when I searched...? DOH!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

LOL!

Happens to the best of us.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
BobbyB029
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Buy a #6 drilled stopper, slide it on your bottle filler and insert that into the picnic tap. Press your thumb on the side of the stopper to release CO2 when bottling and presto! 65 cent counter pressure bottle filler!

-BobbyB

Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
TwoWheeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

So, after much reading and digging, I've come to the conclusion I'm going to make one of my own design - and stress the "cool factor". (Thinking of making the body of the thing look like a six shooter, all stainless, etc.) I love gross overkill!

Anyway, if I understand the principle of the thing, I need a long tube to reach to the bottom. One article said to make sure to angle the end of the tube - I ASSume that's to allow the beer to flow, unmolested? Would a square end - with two holes @ 90 degrees work the same way? (I'm thinking of making mine like a bottling wand, where you push down or release to start and stop the flow of beer, and a square end would work better for that). How would the inside diameter of the wand affect the flow? Would a bigger wand be better, or doesn't size matter? <snicker>

Do I understand the procedure correctly?:

• Flush the bottle with CO2 to drive out O2 -same as racking to a Corny under CO2.
  • Stopper the bottle
  • Fill
  • Cap

Do I need to allow my "purge" CO2 to exit the bottle as I fill? (I would think so - or does a small amount of pressure in the bottle help to inhibit the flow of beer and prevent foaming?)

Should I unhook my "gas in" line on the keg and allow residual pressure to force the beer into the bottle, or leave it hooked up? Or disconnect it and hook up a second tank (which I have) set at a very low pressure?

I'm thinking, if I make my gun with "ball lock" (why do I reflexively cringe when I write that phrase?) fittings, I should be able to open my kegerator, hook my beer gun up, fill some bottles and be good to go.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
bthomas9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB029
Buy a #6 drilled stopper, slide it on your bottle filler and insert that into the picnic tap. Press your thumb on the side of the stopper to release CO2 when bottling and presto! 65 cent counter pressure bottle filler!

-BobbyB
Quick, easy, perfect fills each time!
bottles: Red Light BIPA, Ruination Clone, Mids Pale v3, v2, Deception Sweet Stout V1, V2

Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
tom_hampton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1000 on the BMBF.

I went to the hardware store looking to buy a bunch of brass parts for your standard CPBF. By the time I added it all up local prices were north of $50 before tax.

Came home dejected, got out a #6 and an old "beer kit" 3/8" racking cane, voila! Works like a champ, easy to do one handed and everything (drinking a beer with the other).

I only fill a few 750ml / 1 liter bottles at a time (for friends or family). I suppose if I bottled everything in 12oz'ers I might need something more fancy, but if that were the only way to serve homebrew, I wouldn't brew anyway!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
TwoWheeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_hampton View Post
+1000 on the BMBF.

I went to the hardware store looking to buy a bunch of brass parts for your standard CPBF. By the time I added it all up local prices were north of $50 before tax.
Ah, but I won't have anything invested but my time - and even then, I'll be on the clock at work....

Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you're filling from a tap, check out the bowie bottler. I have a beer gun. But the bowie bottler is so easy to use. It's basically a milled piece with gaskets that you can fit into your tap. You can use a stopper and burp it, or you can drill a small hole and insert a tire inflation needle to burp. Works great.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
TwoWheeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
If you're filling from a tap, check out the bowie bottler.
...but that's too simple!

....and it would mean I'd have to get off my ass and replace my cheap-ass faucets with Perlicks, like I've been threatening to do for....two years...?

Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #10
beertastic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+1 again for the BMBF:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/

I've also just filled bottles right out of the tap with low serving pressure and capped them, but that's when I know I'm going to drink them that weekend.

Quick Reply