The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > correcting a flaw in IC (copper bending question)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
ChrisS
I like cold beverages
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default correcting a flaw in IC (copper bending question)

So I have this IC that I got several years ago when starting out that for some reason the bends for the hose connections are bent toward the center of the circle and not away from the circle. I would like to bend them out.

I started by just slowly bending them and I have got them just about vertical, but I think the copper is hardening from the initial bending and the added stress I am applying but i'm not sure.

Would it do me any good to get a torch and heat the pipe up or just continue to slowly bend the pipe to where I want it? Is there a trade off with annealing the copper?

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You can bend the copper but it needs a pretty good radius. For a sharp turn, you should probably get some 90 degree connections and add a bit of extra copper to get it up and over the edge of the kettle.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
LuiInIdaho

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default What is the diameter of the copper tubing?

I purchased a tubing bending tool from Home Depot. I can't remember the price, but it was not a lot of money. This works well for diameters up to 3/8 of an inch. You can bend a pretty tight radius with this if the copper is small enough.

Mark

Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
ChrisS
I like cold beverages
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it is 3/8" so I could look into the pipe bending tool, but this might be a one and done type of job so if I can get away without it I would.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
[...]Would it do me any good to get a torch and heat the pipe up or just continue to slowly bend the pipe to where I want it? Is there a trade off with annealing the copper?
Re-annealing the copper would be a good move, it'll relieve the work-hardening and pretty much reset the copper to...umm...a "relaxed" state. It's actually part of the process when pounding copper sheets into shapes (like kettles, etc).

Google "how to anneal copper" for tips and a couple of videos to give you some guidance...

Cheers!

Quick Reply