Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Correct Size Hole Saw for Water Heater Element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
mZnthebend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Correct Size Hole Saw for Water Heater Element

This is not to discuss the pros and cons of Hole Saw vs. Step Bit.

I have a step-bit that is great for 1" holes but I know that it is too small for my water heater element. I did a test run with my PID and element in an old fermenter.

For anyone who has used a hole saw for a 1" Straight Thread Element and then used a 1" lock nut to secure it on the inside of the kettle utilizing the supplied gasket, what size Hole Saw did you use?

McMaster has bi-metal hole saws in 1/16" increments

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Mcmaster lists 1" NPT OD at 1.315" at the threads. It would seem that 1-3/8" hole would be ideal (1.375"), I don't think you're going to get there with a 1-3/8" hole saw. They walk, creep, whatever you want to call it and the hole will be bigger than the spec of the saw. I'd go with 1-1/4" and file it out to the right size. I'd also recommend doing a test hole in a similar material before doing the real deal.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

edit: Sorry, I saw your no hole saw vs step bit after I posted.

I opted to use a larger step bit from Harbor Freight. They came in a package of 2, one small one big, for around 15 bucks I think. This worked perfect for me, I just had to file off a little burr on the inside. As Bobby suggested it is better to go smaller and use hand tools to make it fit perfectly.

Here is the link for what I used Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Mike

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you want to keep the hole saw from walking, use a pilot bit and also bore a hole in a block of wood with your saw and use that as a guide. Make sure you're lined up with the bit and should have no trouble.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
jamescb77
Recipes 

can you guys send me the link for where your getting your elements big enough to do boils with thanks jamescb77

Primary 1:air
Primary 2:air
Secondary:Air
Bottled: air
Up Next:not really sure
Enjoying:AIR:(
working on upgrading to electric if someone would liek to brew me some i would be more than happy to pay for all the ingredients and come help out. Let me know if your near Vincennes Indiana

Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescb77 View Post
can you guys send me the link for where your getting your elements big enough to do boils with thanks jamescb77
This was posted in another thread on here: 5500W Element

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
jamescb77
Recipes 

thank you very much

Primary 1:air
Primary 2:air
Secondary:Air
Bottled: air
Up Next:not really sure
Enjoying:AIR:(
working on upgrading to electric if someone would liek to brew me some i would be more than happy to pay for all the ingredients and come help out. Let me know if your near Vincennes Indiana

Quick Reply