Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Corny fermenter airlock
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
CarlLBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CarlLBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lake Park(Valdosta), GA
Posts: 275
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

this is pretty simple too.

__________________

That's what she said.

CarlLBC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,940
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLBC View Post
this is pretty simple too.

That's what I was thinking.



I'm going to have to look at purchasing 25 of these from PedalBiker.
__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.
BigKahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
eggbeater59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 70
Default

that is a very smart idea morotorium, i'm going to have to keep that in mind for future use.

__________________
eggbeater59 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
MoRoToRiUm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,413
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLBC View Post
this is pretty simple too.

I have one of these- After one somewhat volatile ferment, I decided to just go with blow off tubes. I don't have to buy any extra equipment either- just gas in connector, some spare tubing, and a Gatorade bottle
__________________
MoRoToRiUm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
MoRoToRiUm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,413
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbeater59 View Post
that is a very smart idea morotorium, i'm going to have to keep that in mind for future use.


7.99 on Northern Brewer

__________________
MoRoToRiUm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #16
Brewing Clamper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 2,862
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
...I then pressurize a sanitized corny to about 30PSI, pressurize brew to about 30PSI...
Do you keep the 30PSI during the entire fermentation process or only towards the end?
__________________

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Brewing Clamper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
MoRoToRiUm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,413
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing Clamper View Post
Do you keep the 30PSI during the entire fermentation process or only towards the end?
I don't pressurize at all for primary ferment. For transferring to a secondary, I pressurize both kegs to 30PSI. Using connects and ~3ft line, I connect the out to out. I then disconnect the gas on the receiving keg, leaving gas on the full (primary) ferment keg. I then slowly/progressively bleed pressure from the receiving (secondary) keg forcing the brew over. I usually end up 'over bleeding' so that gas from the primary (now empty) keg goes into the secondary (now full) keg, bubbling and ensuring the keg lid gets sealed. After a day, I do bleed the pressure on occasion to relieve any subtle fermentation.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
__________________
Broken Face Brewery
Est. 2008
MoRoToRiUm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #18
Jonnio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jonnio's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,525
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
I don't pressurize at all for primary ferment. For transferring to a secondary, I pressurize both kegs to 30PSI. Using connects and ~3ft line, I connect the out to out. I then disconnect the gas on the receiving keg, leaving gas on the full (primary) ferment keg. I then slowly/progressively bleed pressure from the receiving (secondary) keg forcing the brew over. I usually end up 'over bleeding' so that gas from the primary (now empty) keg goes into the secondary (now full) keg, bubbling and ensuring the keg lid gets sealed. After a day, I do bleed the pressure on occasion to relieve any subtle fermentation.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
I love the thought of this, but I can't get past the extra cost in CO2 for not having to autosiphon from keg to keg. If I were to do this with every brew it would probably put me down to 5-6 kegs per bottle instead of the 10ish I am getting.
__________________

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...
Jonnio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #19
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mysteryberto's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 427
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
I love the thought of this, but I can't get past the extra cost in CO2 for not having to autosiphon from keg to keg. If I were to do this with every brew it would probably put me down to 5-6 kegs per bottle instead of the 10ish I am getting.

I'm sure it cost a bit in CO2 but with a 20# tank I don't worry about it. Think about it this way you can have a complete sealed system from pitching the yeast to drinking out of the keg with no exposure to air. I'd recommend cutting the fermenting keg dip tube down.



I just ordered a couple of surescreens off NB. Mainly since some IPA's with lots of dry hopping have chunks of hops coming through. Even though my hop bag is a fine mesh.
__________________

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

mysteryberto is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
brauhausjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central TX Area
Posts: 330
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLBC View Post
this is pretty simple too.

Thats the way I have been doing it. But I have blown out the stopper during transfer, what a mess that was

Using the adapter over the 'in' post would fix that....

The screen is off the hook to. Thanks.
__________________

My other web site. swampwaterbrewery

brauhausjoe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corny Keg Fermenter? radtek Equipment/Sanitation 58 03-09-2010 07:38 PM
How to stop airlock gunk from getting in fermenter when moving fermenter... Poincare Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 07-22-2009 01:22 AM
Airlock on a corny conpewter DIY Projects 8 05-19-2009 04:15 PM
corny as fermenter Gumbys_Brew Equipment/Sanitation 21 02-11-2009 07:22 PM
Corny for a fermenter. Orfy Equipment/Sanitation 1 12-19-2006 07:54 AM