LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Default Copper Tubing Bending

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 50' coil of copper tubing to turn into an IC and am wondering what sizes are more prone to kinking. I've only ever dealt with 1/4" copper tubing to make my current crappy IC. I've found a real decent price on 50' of 5/8" tubing. Would this size be manageable to (fairly easily) wrap around a corny to make a really bad-a IC or might the larger ID make it kink more easily?

Thanks!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
dkennedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wrapped 3/8 around a growler without any challenges...just wish that I had gone for width instead of height.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
hpz937
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the bigger the tubing the harder it tends to be to bend it. Get the tools for bending tubing and it will make it alot easier to bend without kinking it. getting your coild around a corny keg shouldn't be too hard though

Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I heard rolling a bucket over the laid out copper wile wrapping it works pretty well.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you dont already have a set- pick up some tube bending coils. they are much cheaper than an actual tubing coiler (like this one i made last weekend ) and work pretty good for doing what you are trying to.

also bending the tubing in steps instead of all at once helps. for instance, if you buy the tube in a 2 foot diameter coil, and want an end product of maybe 10 inches in diameter, dont just roll it around a 10" form. instead coil it around maybe a 16" wide form, and then do it again with a 10 inch form. (or posibly add more steps)

the more gradually you do it, the less prone to kinking it will be.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
justtaint
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
if you dont already have a set- pick up some tube bending coils. they are much cheaper than an actual tubing coiler (like this one i made last weekend ) and work pretty good for doing what you are trying to.

also bending the tubing in steps instead of all at once helps. for instance, if you buy the tube in a 2 foot diameter coil, and want an end product of maybe 10 inches in diameter, dont just roll it around a 10" form. instead coil it around maybe a 16" wide form, and then do it again with a 10 inch form. (or posibly add more steps)

the more gradually you do it, the less prone to kinking it will be.
Doesn't the copper we're all using harden every time you bend it? Your suggestion seems to be the exact opposite of what I've read. Do it right the first time, otherwise it's more likely to kink.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've worked 3/8" OD, 1/2" OD, and all the way up to 5/8" OD refrigeration tubing around a corny with zero problems. The key is to not attempt to straighten out the stock coil to then recoil it. As you can see in the video, you lay the coil down and put the corny in the middle. That was coiling the 1/2" OD. It was more challenging to secure the coil end at the bottom and coil upwards because someone had to hold the weight of the coil up and out of the way. When I did the 5/8" one, I did it by myself I simply left the corny upright (fill it to the top with water for weight or use one full of beer). Use a clamp of some sort to clamp the end to the corny handle at the top and simply let the coil sit on the floor. Now you start forming the coiling up at the top coiling downward while the stock coil sort of spins around on the floor. A carpet helps.

3/8" coils are so easy to bend that you can skip the soldering and elbows and stuff. When you coil to the point where there's about 30" left, hold the coil tight and bend it upright and that becomes the water in or out lead from the bottom of the coil.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you think you're going to have trouble keeping it from kinking. Go to a bulk foods store and buy some salt. Fill the tubing w/salt and wind the salt filled coil around a corny. When you're done, attach the hose fittings. Attach the hose to the water supply. The water may take some time to flush the salt out of the line, but the salt will eventually come out.

Disclaimer: I've done this w/up to 1/2" not 5/8" though I suspect it would work

***edited to add disclaimer

Old 04-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtaint View Post
Doesn't the copper we're all using harden every time you bend it? Your suggestion seems to be the exact opposite of what I've read. Do it right the first time, otherwise it's more likely to kink.
that is only true if you are bending it, straitening it out, and then bending it again. if you are only bending it one total time, it doesnt matter if you do it in small incriments or all at once. and also copper only work-hardens by a few percent; its not like it turns into steel after a few minutes.

the only thing is that when you do it all at once, if you dont have a form or mandrel, the force it takes to make a large bend can find a weak spot and kink. thats the reason i suggested do a few stages. less force is applied at any given point, and less chance of kinking.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Thank you all for the great replies! After reading your posts, I'm very confident I'll be able to make my IC without issues. Audger, I'll try out your method, I just don't know what the original coil diameter will be. Bobby, I remember watching that video a while ago. Thanks for reminding me of it! Just placed my order for the coil! $40.16 shipped ain't bad! That's about a $70 savings over MoreBeer's 50' x 1/2" IC.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Quick Reply